Delicious low-calorie, zucchini pizza bites without the carbs! Great for a healthy snack or game day appetizer! Vegan gluten-free.
So, I was garage sailing this morning and somehow I ended up at my parent’s house eating bagels and donuts.
If I eat heavier in the morning then I try to eat lighter at night. I had a couple zucchinis I wanted to use up, so I thought this was a perfect choice. Loading the zucchini rounds with veggies makes this very filling and tasty too! Anybody else grow up watching “I Love Lucy”?
Zucchini Pizza Bites
I sliced the zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds and sauteed them over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. You want to see a little color but don’t let it get soft. You want it to be slightly firm because it has to hold up under the toppings. Saute the onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and seasonings together until fully cooked.
Set the oven to a high broil. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and lay the zucchini out in rows. Add a small dollop of marinara to each slice and a spoonful of the cooked toppings to each zucchini.
Sprinkle shredded vegan mozzarella cheese over each pizza bite. Pop into the oven for 1-2 minutes max. They will brown quickly, so watch them! This was an awesome healthy dinner and it would also be a really fun appetizer/snack for a party too!
Add a little bit of chopped parsley, if you’re feeling fancy.
Other Appetizers You might Enjoy
The zucchini is perfectly cooked but still sturdy enough to withstand being picked up and support the pizza toppings. The pizza seasonings really gave it the pizza flavor that I was craving without having to worry about the carbs!
I ate the zucchini bites hot but I may have snagged 1-2 out of the fridge later in the day for a snack. Even cold, they were lip smackin’ good!
If you’ve tried these zucchini pizza bites or any other recipe on the blog, please remember to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought of it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious vegan recipes + our monthly trips to Disney World
Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp pizza seasoning
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded mozzarella cheese (I use Violife vegan cheese)
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnish
- Slice the zucchini (into 1/4 inch rounds) and the mushrooms. Dice the onion and tomato. Set aside.
- Set the oven to a high broil. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Saute the zucchini in 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large pan for 2-3 minutes on each side. Season with sea salt & pepper. Cook until just slightly tender. If they're too soft then they won't support the toppings. Remove the zucchini from the pan and place in rows on the tray.
- In the same pan, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until soft. Add the diced tomatoes, garlic, pizza seasonings, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 tsp of marinara sauce onto each zucchini round. Add 1 Tbsp of filling onto each zucchini round and top with vegan cheese.
- Put the tray into the oven for 1-2 minutes, just until lightly browned and cheese had melted. Take the tray out and garnish with parsley.