Delicious low-calorie, zucchini pizza bites without the carbs! Great for a healthy snack or game day appetizer! Vegetarian and gluten-free.
So, I was garage sailing this morning and somehow I ended up at my parent’s house eating bagels and donuts.
If I eat heavier in the morning then I try to eat lighter at night. I had a couple zucchinis I wanted to use up, so I thought this was the perfect choice. Loading the zucchini rounds with veggies makes this very filling and tasty too! Anybody else grow up watching “I Love Lucy”?
Zucchini Pizza Bites
I sliced the zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds and sauteed them over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. You want to see a little color but don’t let it get soft. You want it to be slightly firm because it has to hold up under the toppings. Saute the onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and seasonings together until fully cooked.
Preheat the oven to high broil. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and lay the zucchini out in rows. Add a small dollop of marinara to each slice and a spoonful of the cooked toppings to each zucchini.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over each pizza bite. Pop into the oven for 1-2 minutes max. They will brown quickly, so watch them! This was an awesome healthy dinner and it would also be a really fun appetizer/snack for a party too!
Add a little bit of chopped parsley, if you’re feeling fancy.
A Few of My Favorite Appetizers:
- Secret ingredient cilantro lime salsa
- Avocado Caprese salad
- Healthy cashew cream spinach artichoke dip
- Parmesan crusted kale artichoke dip
- Spicy avocado quinoa stacks
- Watermelon kiwi mango fruit salsa
- Buffalo chicken skewers with blue cheese crumbles
The zucchini is perfectly cooked but still sturdy enough to withstand being picked up and support the pizza toppings. The pizza seasonings really gave it the pizza flavor that I was craving without having to worry about the carbs!
I ate the zucchini bites hot but I may have snagged 1-2 out of the fridge later in the day for a snack. Even cold, they were lip smackin’ good!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Large zucchini, cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tsp pizza seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle of sea salt, pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnish
- Slice the zucchini (into ¼ inch rounds) and the mushrooms. Dice the onion and tomato. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to a high broil. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Saute the zucchini in 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large pan for 2-3 minutes on each side. Season with sea salt & pepper. Cook until just slightly tender. If they're too soft then they won't support the toppings. Remove zucchini from the pan and place in rows on the tray.
- In the same pan, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the grated garlic, pizza seasonings, salt & pepper. Mix together and let cook together for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Spoon ½ tsp of marinara sauce onto each zucchini round.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of filling onto each zucchini round and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Pop the tray into the oven for 1-2 minutes, just until lightly browned and cheese had melted.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
What toppings would you put on these zucchini pizza bites? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
Add me on Snapchat to see what I’m cooking today! – StaceyHomemaker
You may also like…