Roasted sweet potato salsa has caramelized sweet potato chunks tossed with fresh tomatoes, corn, black beans, onions, and cilantro! It’s the best salsa for fall!
I don’t know about you, but salsa is one of our favorite snacks! I usually make it a lot during the summer, because tomatoes are in season, so I can make a lot of it and it doesn’t cost that much. Plus, fresh is way better than jarred salsa any day.
One of my favorite salsas to eat is my secret ingredient cilantro lime salsa!
Unfortunately, I didn’t get to make that much this summer because of the cilantro shortage that happened in July. So, to make up for the loss of summer salsa, I wanted to create a salsa that is perfect for fall.
It has sweet and spicy roasted sweet potato chunks, that go perfectly with the corn, black beans, onion, tomatoes, and lots of cilantro. If you don’t like cilantro, I would reduce or omit the amount of cilantro used.
When you first taste a roasted sweet potato chunk, it’s spicy but as you bite into it, you get a burst of sweetness. It’s sooooo delicious! It’s what makes the salsa so special.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salsa
I cut the sweet potato into really tiny chunks, so it would be similar in size to the tomatoes, corn, and black beans. Then I tossed them in olive oil, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder, and I roasted them until crisp. The contrast of the warm, sweet caramelized potatoes to the black beans and corn is perfection.
Tip – Watch the sweet potatoes, they can burn quickly. Turn halfway through cooking time, so both sides get crispy.
This sweet potato salsa is so easy to assemble too. Just cut everything up, rinse the beans and corn, and toss it into a bowl. Mix and serve, that’s it! It’s a simple appetizer, or you could put it on top of tacos or as a filling for burritos mixed with ground beef. So many delicious possibilities!
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into small chunks
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- Seasoning for sweet potatoes - ⅛ t paprika, ⅛ t cumin, ⅛ t garlic powder, salt & pepper, sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- 1 can of corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 t garlic powder
- ¼ t cumin
- ¼ t paprika
- ⅛ t cayenne
- 1 T lime juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the sweet potato into very small chunks, lay on parchment lined tray, and toss in olive oil.
- Put seasonings into a bowl, mix together and sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork. Turn halfway through.
- Add corn, black beans, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and seasonings to a large bowl.
- Let sweet potato chunks cool for 10 minutes, add them to the large bowl.
- Mix everything together, and serve with tortilla chips.
Roasted sweet potato salsa is packed with healthy ingredients, so you can chow down without any guilt! If you don’t want to snack on chips, you could use crackers, celery, or anything you can scoop with!
What’s your favorite salsa recipe? Do you prefer regular salsa, or do you like to throw in some secret ingredients? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
Add me on Snapchat to see what I’m cooking today! – StaceyHomemaker
You may also like…