Zucchini Pizza Bites
Zucchini pizza bites are the most delicious gluten-free vegan snack or appetizer to serve at a party! All the flavors of pizza that you love in a mini, snackable, tasty bite!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 servings
Large Baking Tray
Large Saute Pan
- 2 large zucchini cut into (24) 1/4 inch rounds
- 2-3 Tbsp low-sodium vegetable broth (or olive oil)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 8 oz cremini or button mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Himalayan pink sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I used a chunky vegetable style tomato sauce)
- 3/4 cup vegan shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley or basil
Slice the zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds. Arrange the zucchini on a large parchment paper-lined tray and sprinkle salt lightly over each round. Let it sit for 10 minutes to draw excess liquid out and then use a paper towel to blot and dry each zucchini slice.
Transfer the zucchini to a large pan and saute over medium heat in low-sodium vegetable broth or olive oil for 2-3 minutes on each side. You want to see a little color start to develop but don’t let the zucchini get too soft. You want the zucchini slices to be slightly firm because it has to support the toppings and you don’t want it to fall apart when you pick it up. When the zucchini is done pre-cooking, remove it from the pan and place them back on the parchment-lined baking tray (if the parchment paper is too wet, replace it with a new sheet).
In the same pan (you might need to add more vegetable broth if it’s dry), saute the diced onions, diced bell pepper, and sliced mushrooms for 8-10 minutes. Add the minced garlic, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Stir and saute for 1 more minute.
(Set the oven to broil on high.) Put a small dollop of store-bought or homemade tomato sauce on each zucchini slice and then spoon the sauteed vegetables on top of each slice.
Sprinkle shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (my favorites are Violife shredded mozzarella or Follow Your Heart shredded mozzarella) over each zucchini pizza bite. Put the tray into the oven for 1-2 minutes or until the vegan cheese is soft and melted. The zucchini pizza bites will brown quickly, so make sure to watch them!
Remove the tray from the oven and let the zucchini cool for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil.
- I know it’s tempting, but don’t skip the salting and draining step. Zucchini contains a lot of water that can make your zucchini pizza bites mushy.
- Fresh baby spinach leaves, diced bell peppers, chopped artichokes, sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced olives, or minced jalapenos would also be tasty topping options.
- You can make homemade tomato sauce or use store-bought to save time. This is my favorite brand of store-bought vegan sauce.
- You can use store-bought vegan shredded cheese (my favorite brands are Violife or Follow Your Heart) or you can make homemade vegan cheese using this recipe.
- Store the leftover zucchini pizza bites in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 385mg | Potassium: 553mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 426IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg