This no-knead whole wheat chia bread is extremely easy to make with barely any work involved.
No-Knead Whole Wheat Chia Bread
I have been trying out a bunch of different ingredient variations with the basic no-knead bread recipe and this one is my favorite!
The base of this no-knead whole wheat chia bread recipe is derived from Jim Lahey‘s no-knead, no-work, white bread recipe. On a side note, let me tell you how excited I was when I found his no-knead bread recipe and realized that he is the same man that started Sullivan Street Bakery in NYC! If you ever get to visit his bakery, make sure you get a slice of the mushroom pizza! It’s amazing!
What Pot Should You Use?
The recipe for no-knead whole wheat chia bread is very forgiving and easy to customize based on what ingredients you have, but it’s 100% necessary to use a dutch oven to bake the loaf in.
My mom tried to make the same recipe in a corning ware dish with the lid but the bread didn’t get the delicious crispy crust. Something about the way the heat is distributed in the ceramic pot gives it a very crusty, golden shell. That’s exactly what you want!
Yesterday, I found the perfect little red dutch oven at a garage sale for $4! Can you believe it!? I was pretty happy with my find since I’ve been on the hunt for a new one for a while now but didn’t want to pay full price.
How Long Does No-Knead Bread Take to Rise?
Keep in mind that with any no-knead bread recipes you must give it time to rise, between 12-18 hours. I time it out so the bread dough can rise overnight and then I’ll bake it the next morning so it’s ready for dinner that night. I will gladly plan the day before so I can avoid having to knead the dough, I hate doing that!
I eat avocado toast for breakfast almost every single morning. This is my favorite bread to use for the avocado toast! It toasts perfectly and I love that it’s loaded with so many whole grains, nuts, and seeds.
If you’ve tried this quinoa spinach salad or any other recipe on the blog, please remember to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought of it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious vegan recipes + our monthly trips to Disney World!
No-Knead Whole Wheat Chia Bread
- Combine all the dry ingredients except wheat bran in a large bowl.
- Add water to the dry ingredients, mix the dough just until all the flour is blended.
- Cover and put the bowl somewhere warm where it won't be disturbed for 12 hours. When it's ready, it will be covered with tiny air bubbles and doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Fold the dough over a few times and put it back in the bowl. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising put the dutch oven (with lid) into the oven for 30 minutes to heat up.
- Carefully, sprinkle wheat bran into the bottom of the hot pot. Put the dough into the pot and add any additional seeds or toppings you want, and replace the lid. Bake for 30 minutes, covered.
- Remove the lid and continue baking for 20 additional minutes. Carefully remove the pot from the oven. Take the bread out of the hot pot and put on a cooling rack for 1 hour.
- Once cooled, slice and enjoy.
Have you tried making your own bread before? Let me know in the comments!