Are you looking for new ways to jazz up your morning toast?! Look no further! This list of unique vegan toast recipes has all the inspiration you need! From vegan toast toppings to the best vegan bread options, this guide has everything you need to take your toast game from ho-hum to yum yum!
I eat some variation of toast with different toppings almost every single morning for breakfast, even on Valentine's Day! It's quick, easy, convenient, and most importantly, delicious! My favorite combination is mashed avocado with garlic powder, cherry tomatoes, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze, it's so tasty!
Depending on what I have in the fridge, I rotate between avocado toast, hummus toast, peanut butter toast, and mango jam toast. One time when our fridge was really empty, I opened a can of baked beans and put that on a thick slice of toasted sourdough bread, and it was delicious and very filling!
There are so many variations of vegan toast and toppings to try, so I compiled a list of my favorite recipes to share with you! There's no reason to eat plain boring toast when there are so many unique variations to try.
What Bread is Vegan?
My favorite vegan bread to use to make toast is Food for Life sprouted Ezekial bread. I also love the flax version of the same brand. They are made with sprouted grains, the slices toast up perfectly after 3-4 minutes in the toaster oven, and you can store the loaf in the freezer until you're ready to eat it so you don't need to worry about it going bad since it doesn't contain any preservatives.
If you can't find this bread at your store, that's ok! All of the following brands are vegan too. However, always check the ingredient label first, because the products can change at any time.
- Arnold Oatnut Bread
- Alvarado Street Bakery Whole Wheat Bread (their onion bagels are delicious too!)
- BFree Gluten-Free Bread
- Bloomfield Farms Gluten-Free Bread
- Dave's Killer Good Seed Bread (their everything bagels are great too!)
- Silver Hills Bakery Bread
- One Degree Organic Foods Veganic Bread
- Manna Organics (Gluten-Free)
- Nature's Own Whole Grain Bread
- New Grains Bakery Whole Grain Bread
- Northern Bakehouse (Gluten-Free)
- Rudi's Organic Whole Wheat Bread
- Silver Hills Sprouted Bread & Bagels
- Simply Nature Seedtastic Bread
What Do Vegans Eat on Toast?
There are so many tasty toppings options and vegan spreads that vegans can put on toast! Some of my favorite toast and topping combinations are roasted garlicky mushrooms on top of mashed avocado, roasted red pepper hummus with hemp seeds and green onions, or mashed avocado with slices of juicy peaches and fresh basil. You could also jazz up your toast with any of the following spreads and toppings.
Vegan Spread Options
- Mashed Avocado
- Mashed Green Peas
- Peanut Butter
- Almond Butter
- Cashew Butter
- Any Flavor of Hummus
- Any Type of Mashed Beans (add a little bit of lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder)
- Vegan Butter
- Vegan Hazelnut Spread (I love Nocciolata!)
- Vegan Cream Cheese (I love Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese!)
Vegan Topping Options
- Tofu Scramble
- Chili flakes
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- Edible Flowers
- Hemp Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sliced Figs
- Bananas Coins
- Baked Beans
- Roasted Mushrooms
- Roasted Garlic
- Caramelized Onions
- Lentils (I especially love crispy roasted lentils!)
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Cilantro
Best Flavor Combinations
Now that we've talked about the best vegan spreads and toppings, let's go over how to put them together into the best flavor combinations!
- Mashed avocado with cherry tomatoes and balsamic glaze
- Peanut butter with thinly sliced apples and cinnamon
- Vegan cream cheese with thick slices of tomato and fresh basil
- Hazelnut spread with fresh berries and hemp seeds
- Mashed avocado with pumpkin seeds, sauerkraut, and green onions
- Peanut butter with banana coins and chia seeds
- Roasted red pepper hummus with crispy lentils
- Mashed avocado with tofu scramble and chives
- Fruit jam with pumpkin seeds
Now that we've talked about which bread brands are vegan, the best toppings to use, and some of my favorite combinations, let's get into the recipes! I chose all of the following recipes because they are unique, delicious, super filling, and perfect for a hearty breakfast. I especially love the mushroom pate, which recipe looks the best to you?
Want More Vegan Breakfast Ideas?
*This list was originally shared on 8/7/16, but I updated it on 8/29/20.