No-knead cheddar onion bread is loaded with vegan cheddar cheese and green onions that gives this bread so much flavor! Toasted with avocado spread or pressed in a grilled cheese sandwich– you can’t go wrong!
If you’ve been following along with me– you know that I like to cook almost everything from scratch.
Every. Single. Day.
Especially my bread. I always make my own no-knead bread every week, and I love trying new flavor combos like rosemary parmesan or whole wheat chia bread. Some work and some don’t, but this no-knead cheddar cheese bread is a WIN!
No-Knead Cheddar Onion Bread
This is by no means one of my healthier recipes, but it’s totally acceptable to make it once in a while as a treat. It’s so delicious that I seriously can’t stay away from the no-knead cheddar onion bread until it’s gone.
Tip – You’ll know the dough is ready when you see all the little air bubbles on the surface.
I love toasting it and spreading mashed avocados on top for breakfast or using it for a pressed sandwich.
The cheese is mixed throughout the bread and melts into it while it’s baking which creates these little pockets of cheesy heaven in each slice. Just try to stop at one slice– I dare you!
Did you know that you can regrow your green onion ends? I’ve heard of it before but I didn’t really think it would work– but it does!
I saved the ends and put them root side down into a small glass with a little bit of clean water. After 3 days of sitting on the counter, look at how much it’s grown! It really works! I’m going to change the water every few days and see how long it takes to get them back to their original size. I’ll report back with progress soon!
More No-Knead Bread Recipes You’ll Love!
No-Knead Cheddar Onion Bread
- Add all ingredients except water and wheat bran, to a large bowl. Mix together until fully combined.
- Add water, continue to mix until you don't see any white flour patches. The dough shouldn't be soupy so be careful not to add too much. The dough should look shaggy once combined.
- Cover and put in a warm place for 12 hours. (I put mine in the oven with the door shut overnight so it's ready to bake in the morning when I get up.)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Take your bread dough out of the oven and place 3-4 quart dutch oven with the lid on into the oven, let heat for 30 minutes.
- Punch down your risen dough, stretch it out and fold your dough 3-4 times to get rid of any air bubbles. Cover and let rise again for 30 minutes while the pot is heating up,
- After the 30 minutes, carefully remove the pot. Take off the lid and sprinkle the wheat bran into the bottom of the pot. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and into the hot pot. Sprinkle cheese on top. Replace the lid and put the pot into the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered, remove the lid and bake for 5 more minutes until the crust is a golden brown.
- Carefully remove the bread immediately from he pot and let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. The sides of the loaf may look dark but it's just the baked cheese. The crispy cheese is our favorite part!
- If you cut into it while it's still warm the middle will get sticky. I know it's hard to resist warm bread but do your best!
- I recommend So Delicious or Violife vegan shredded cheddar cheese for this recipe. They both melt well and have great flavor!