Finger-licking vegan pulled pork is made in the slow cooker with only 6 ingredients and it’s sure to please everyone! Vegan and gluten-free.
*This post contains affiliate links.
Does Jackfruit Really Taste Like Pulled Pork?
Pulled jackfruit is so similar to pulled pork, it’s crazy! Have you tried it yet?
Honestly, I really don’t think that anyone would be able to tell the difference if I didn’t say anything. It’s the same size, same color, and same texture as pulled pork! I think that the only giveaway might be the flavor of the jackfruit; I like to describe it as tasting like a cross between pork and pineapple.
We also love jackfruit as a substitute for beef in classic mushroom stroganoff!
What is Vegan Pulled Pork Made Of?
Vegan pulled pork is made of shredded young jackfruit and it’s coated in BBQ sauce. It’s really simple and easy to make!
Jackfruit is a fruit, so it makes sense that it has a fruit-like taste, even though it looks just like meat. However, once it’s covered in tangy bbq sauce and piled high with coleslaw on a soft roll, It’s really hard to tell the difference. I think vegans and non-vegans alike will love this recipe!
Throw a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, pineapple chunks, a shot of whiskey for extra flavor, a diced onion, and drained jackfruit into a slow cooker and you’re well on your way to vegan BBQ heaven!
Vegan Pulled Pork is Perfect For a BBQ and Game Day!
I made this vegan pulled pork recipe last weekend to celebrate the 4th of July holiday weekend. Travis and I both love to have holiday-themed meals so some type of BBQ was definitely happening.
Classic BBQ food usually consists of ribs, pulled pork, and burgers. I definitely wasn’t making any of that so I pulled a few cans of my go-to meat substitute out of the pantry –> Jackfruit!
These vegan and vegetarian pulled pork sliders would also be delicious as a game day snack! They’re messy and finger-licking delicious!
How Long Do You Cook Jackfruit?
You can cook jackfruit in a skillet (30 minutes), you can bake it (30 minutes), you can put it in the Instant Pot (10 minutes), and you can put it in the slow cooker (3 hours). It’s very versatile and pretty hard to mess up!
I prefer to make vegetarian pulled pork in the crockpot because you can set it and forget it but if you want to cook it on the stove top it will be delicious too. Some people like to cut the tips off of the jackfruit pieces if it’s a little firm but if you’re cooking it in the crockpot for a few hours then all of the jackfruit will get really soft and tender so you don’t have to worry about that. However, I will say that even when I make jackfruit on the stove top I don’t cut the tips off because I like the different textures in each bite and i’ts never been too tough for me to eat. (So I skip that step!)
Recipes to Serve With Vegan Jackfruit Pulled Pork
I served these vegan pulled pork sliders on soft rolls with a ring of pineapple and our favorite Asian ginger coleslaw on top. If you’re not a fan of coleslaw then guacamole would be a delicious topper too!
Tips for Cooking With Jackfruit
- Rinse and drain the canned jackfruit very well before cooking with it.
- There is a difference between the ripe jackfruit that you find in the produce section and the canned young jackfruit. You eat the ripe jackfruit as is and you have to cook the canned jackfruit.
- Don’t throw out the jackfruit seeds, they’re loaded with minerals and protein!
- Much like tofu, jackfruit picks up the flavors of what you cook it with. By itself, it can be a little bland. Make sure to pair it with flavorful sauces!
- Only buy canned jackfruit in water, not syrup! The syrup will not rinse off easily.
If you’ve tried this vegan pulled pork or any other recipe on the blog, please remember to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought of it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious vegan recipes + our monthly trips to Disney World!
Check this recipe roundup out if you want more delicious vegan jackfruit recipes that taste better than meat!
Slow Cooker Whiskey Pineapple Vegan Pulled Pork Recipe
- Put the diced onion, jackfruit, pineapple chunks, whiskey, and BBQ sauce into a slow cooker. Stir to coat the jackfruit with the sauce.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove the slow cooker lid, shred the jackfruit with two forks, and stir in the arrowroot powder. Leave the lid off and let it continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve on rolls or buns. Top with coleslaw or guacamole and enjoy!
- You don’t have to serve the jackfruit as sliders, you could serve bigger portions on hamburger buns.
- I haven’t tried it but I think that 6-7 hours on low might turn the jackfruit to mush. In my experience, the 3+ hours on high is just enough heat and intensity to cook the jackfruit and its seeds to the best meat-like consistency.
- You definitely don’t have to make the recipe with whiskey, it just adds a bit of tangy flavor to the sauce. If you omit it, the recipe will still turn out delicious!
- The pineapple rings on the sliders are optional.
- You could substitute corn starch for arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce.