Ginger Asian coleslaw is packed with fresh flavors like ginger, peanut butter, apple cider vinegar, and cilantro! It’s sweet, tangy, crunchy, and delicious as a side dish or to top burgers, sandwiches, and wraps!
I have been majorly craving some coleslaw lately. Except, I didn’t want all the heavy mayo and sour cream that most coleslaws are made with. This Asian Slaw is loaded with garlic, ginger and cilantro. The best part is that the base of the sauce is apple cider vinegar, which is so good for your body. This dish is full of antioxidants, fiber, and superfoods.
So, eat as MUCH AS YOU WANT!
Don’t you love foods like that?! Not to mention, it’s pretty darn delicious.
Ginger Asian Coleslaw Instructions
Ginger Asian coleslaw is really easy to prepare. Wash all the veggies, slice em’ up, make the sauce, mix and you’re done! Okay, it might take a little time to slice everything up but it’s smooth sailing after that.
Start with the cabbage. I like to use one small purple and one small green cabbage, I love the color combo! Slice the head into quarters, remove the stem and slice very thin. Rinse it well and prep the other veggies while it’s draining. I used my peeler to shave off thin slices of carrots but you can julienne them if you want. Use a micro plane to shred the ginger. Dice the garlic. Slice the green onions and roughly chop the cilantro. I save the green onions and a little extra cilantro for topping the dish because the green is contrasting and very pretty to look at.
Tip – Buy a big knob of ginger and keep it in the freezer in a plastic baggy. It’s much easier to peel with a spoon and grate when it’s frozen. Plus, it lasts a lot longer!
Ginger Asian Coleslaw Dressing
For the dressing, put all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together! Easy peasy, done! Pour the dressing over the cabbage, carrot, pepper mix and stir to combine. Top with cilantro and green onions. Time to eat!
Aren’t the colors so pretty? You could also make this a main dish by adding some grilled chicken on top or you could add the Asian slaw to a pulled pork sandwich or on top of tacos, yum. I served it as a side dish with veggie burgers that I made last night. SO many ways to eat it!
- 1 small head of green cabbage, sliced
- 1 small head of purple cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- 1½ inch piece of ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- zest and juice of one medium lime
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- - Add olive oil, agave, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, tamari, rice wine vinegar, almond butter, ginger, cayenne pepper, garlic, lime juice and zest to a small blender cup (I use the smallest cup of my Nutribullet) and blend until smooth.
- - Put the sliced cabbage, carrots, green onions, and cilantro into a large mixing bowl.
- - Pour the dressing over the cabbage mix and toss to combine.
- - Put the coleslaw in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld. Serve chilled.
We love this ginger Asian coleslaw! I’ve made it countless times and it turns out perfect every single time. It’s so crunchy and full of bright flavors. What’s not to love?
Do you like to put coleslaw on your sandwiches or burgers or just as a side dish? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
Add me on Snapchat to see what I’m cooking today! – StaceyHomemaker