Start the fall season off right with a big bowl of creamy carrot sweet potato soup aka “liquid gold!” It has the perfect amount of ginger and only requires 7 ingredients! Vegan and gluten-free.
Last week, Hurricane Irma barrelled through Florida and knocked out most of the state’s power. We lost power at our house for almost one week after Irma hit us. Thankfully, our home had very minimal damage and I had stocked up on enough non-perishable vegan items to last us until the power came back on late Saturday night.
We were lucky enough to have a week’s notice to prepare for the hurricane, so it gave me time to go through the fridge and freezer and cook up some of my stockpile in case we ran out of gas for our generator.
I had a huge 10lb bag of carrots in the fridge that I didn’t want to lose so carrot soup was the last meal I cooked before the storm hit. I’ve been dreaming of it ever since!
Creamy Ginger Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
I love this ginger carrot sweet potato soup, it’s very healthy and it has some of my favorite fall flavors. However, I prepared myself for the complaints from my husband because he hates cooked carrots and I knew he would automatically assume that this soup would taste just like pureed cooked carrots.
He wasn’t super excited when I told him what was for dinner but surprise, surprise, he ended up loving the ginger carrot sweet potato soup. He even gave it the nickname, “liquid gold!” Travis only names recipes when he really loves them, like his favorite Bomb Ass Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos!
I think he enjoyed it so much because it doesn’t taste like pureed cooked carrots. The soup has a delicate sweet carrot flavor combined with the perfect balance of spicy ginger. The sweet potato gives the soup the creamiest consistency without using any nut milk.
Does The Soup Need Plant Milk To Make It Creamy?
In my opinion, this ginger carrot sweet potato soup doesn’t need anything else to make it super luxurious and creamy. Once you blend it all together, it’s extremely smooth and silky.
Of course, if you’re in the mood for comfort food you could definitely take the soup to the next level with rich coconut cream or velvety cashew milk.
It’s just– the soup is so naturally creamy that I don’t think it really needs any additional help. I almost always add coconut milk or coconut cream to my “creamy” soups but vegetable broth and water is just enough for this carrot sweet potato soup. Save the calories for dessert!
More Vegan Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
If you make this ginger carrot sweet potato soup recipe, please share your picture on Instagram and tag @Stacey_Homemaker so I can see your delicious creation!
Vegan Creamy Ginger Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cups carrots, chopped (about 12-13 medium carrots)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1- quart vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (or unsweetened coconut milk to make it extra creamy)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional - Serve with a drizzle of cashew cream or maple syrup
- Saute onions in olive oil for 5-8 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, ginger, garlic, thyme, and vegetable broth. Cover, bring to a low simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in water.
- Serve with a drizzle of cashew cream or maple syrup! Enjoy!
- If you prefer a richer soup, substitute coconut milk for the water.
- If you don't have fresh thyme you can use dried thyme but start with 1/2 tsp of thyme and add more to taste.
- You can freeze this soup for 4 months in an airtight container.