This vegan lentil chickpea spinach soup is creamy, cozy, and comforting! Basically, everything you could want in a bowl of soup. Vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
How to Make Chickpea Soup
I really wanted something satisfying and full of flavor that was easy to make. This chickpea spinach stew has been in my recipe rotation for years. It’s honestly one of my favorite soup recipes! I also love lentils. If you do to then you should definitely try these curried lentils, it’s another quick, easy, and inexpensive recipe that we love!
I make this chickpea spinach soup a few times month because it’s budget-friendly, healthy, and I can use up any leftover veggies without it feeling like we’re eating odds and ends.
Start by cooking the lentils in a separate pot and set them aside for later. Saute the onions, garlic, and seasonings in a large pan. Add the cooked lentils, chickpeas, vegetable broth, and water.
Then bring the chickpea soup to a boil and reduce the heat to a low simmer and let it cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the frozen spinach, coconut milk, and fresh lemon juice. Let it cook for 5 more minutes or until the spinach has defrosted. Use an immersion blender and pulse the soup a few times to thicken the broth.
Vegan Soup Recipes That You’ll Love!
If you’ve tried this vegan chickpea and spinach soup or any other recipe on my blog, please remember to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought of it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious vegan recipes!
Creamy Coconut Lentil Chickpea Spinach Soup
- 1 1/2 cups dry green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp vegetable broth or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 14 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook the lentils in a separate pot according to package instructions, set aside.
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in olive oil or broth until translucent. Add the garlic, Italian seasonings, turmeric, sea salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooked lentils, chickpeas, vegetable broth, and water. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut cream, frozen spinach, and the juice of 1 lemon. Cook for 5 minutes or until the spinach has fully defrosted. Use an immersion blender to blend a little bit of the soup to thicken the broth.