This quick and easy 30-min black bean burrito recipe will be a new staple in your house! It’s loaded with all the fixings and tons of flavor! Vegan, nut-free, soy-free.
***This post contains affiliate links.
The Christmas decorations have been put away, the windows are open to let in the refreshing cold air, and I’m soooo ready to get back to my regular diet.
We had a wonderful holiday break! I hope you did too.
My wonderful hubby got me an Instant Pot and a Vitamix blender for Christmas so get ready for lots of recipes using both of those appliances coming soon to the blog! If you have any tips for cooking with the Instant Pot, please send them my way!
For the last two weeks, I’ve been relying on easy meals. Mostly, one-pot dishes like garden veggie barley soup or meals that are 30-minutes or less like ginger cauliflower fried rice. There simply was no time to cook elaborate meals in between decorating, wrapping gifts, and prepping for the holidays.
Do you need more easy vegan meal recipes? Check these out –> 115 Easy 30-Minute Vegan Meals!
I’ve made this black bean and rice burrito recipe twice in the last month because it’s so delicious and EASY! I love having the ingredients ready in the fridge and being able to make a quick burrito for lunch or dinner when we’re on the go.
How to Make a Black Bean Burrito
Sweet potatoes and beans are the main ingredients in this black bean burrito recipe but I put lots of other goodies in the burritos too!
- Sautéed onions
- Romaine lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Brown rice or quinoa
Saute the onions, bake the sweet potatoes, and cook the rice while you’re prepping the lettuce, tomatoes, and guacamole so everything will be done at once. 30 minutes is all you need to make a super healthy and filling meal with tons of leftovers!
You can use the filling in burritos, tacos, or a black bean burrito bowl (with lots of lettuce!) if you’re watching your carbs.
Are Veggie Burritos Healthy?
Yes, black bean and rice burritos are super healthy because they’re packed with tons of good-for-you plant-based ingredients! You can even make more swaps to make these black bean burritos fit your diet:
- Rice –> cauliflower rice
- Flour tortillas –> collard green leaves
- Beans –> tofu or tempeh (all three are great options but tofu and tempeh have fewer carbs if you’re watching that)
You can make your black bean burrito even healthier by adding more veggies! I like to chop up whatever veggies that we have leftover in the fridge and add it to the mix. You can never have to many veggies!
I’ve mixed in…
- Kidney beans
- Bell peppers
The BEST Homemade Guacamole Recipe
I love guacamole so much and I put it on everything! The guacamole just makes everything so creamy and it helps to hold together all of the dry ingredients in the burrito. Try this easy homemade guac recipe on your black bean burrito!
The BEST Homemade Guacamole:
- 1 avocado
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Healthy pinch of cumin, cayenne, and garlic powder
- Juice of half a lime
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Mash the avocado –> add the dry seasonings & mix –> add onion, cilantro, tomato, and lime juice. Mix and enjoy!
If you don’t want to add guacamole or salsa, chipotle cream sauce would be delicious too.
Tips for Making the Best Vegetarian Burrito Recipe
- Try not to overstuff the black bean burrito. I know it’s hard because I do it almost every single time but it will be much easier to roll up and seal if you don’t overstuff it.
- If you do add salsa to your black bean and rice burrito, try to use a chunky salsa (the less liquid the better). If the salsa is very liquidy then your burrito will be very wet and it will leak.
- Make sure to season your sweet potatoes with lots of Mexican flavors so your vegetarian burrito will have loads of flavor.
- Before you roll up the burrito, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice for extra flavor.
- If you want to seal your burrito, roll it up and saute it in a tiny bit of olive oil for a few minutes until it’s golden brown.
If You Like This Vegetarian Burrito Recipe Then You’ll Probably Enjoy These Recipes too!
If you tried this easy vegetarian burrito recipes, please remember to rate the recipe, share a picture of your meal, and tag me on Instagram @Stacey_Homemaker so I can see your beautiful creation!
This quick and easy 30-min black bean burrito recipe will be a new staple in your house! It's loaded with all the fixings and tons of flavor! Vegan, nut-free, soy-free.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2-3 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Guacamole, salsa, vegan sour cream, or chipotle sauce
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. (Do the following three steps at the same time.)
Cook the rice and set it aside.
Chop the sweet potato and put them on a parchment lined tray. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over the top and toss to coat. Sprinkle chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, and pepper over the potatoes. Toss to combine. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the edges start to brown, flip halfway through.
Saute the diced onion in 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat until translucent. Add the drained black beans and minced garlic cloves. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the beans are warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside until everything is ready.
When the sweet potatoes are done roasting, add them to the pan with the beans and onions. Mix to combine.
Warm a tortilla, add lettuce, brown rice, a scoop of the black bean and sweet potato mixture, tomatoes, cilantro, and guacamole. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the filling and roll up the burrito!
- You can substitute quinoa, freekeh, cauliflower rice, or lentils if you prefer to not use rice.
- Kidney beans, great northern beans, tempeh, tofu crumbles, or chickpeas would be a good substitute for black beans.