Spicy buffalo cauliflower tacos will be your new favorite dinner recipe! The buffalo cauliflower is crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside and it has the perfect amount of heat! Vegan.
Why Are They Called Bomb Ass Tacos?
The day after I made these cauliflower tacos the first time, Travis asked if we were having those “bomb ass tacos” again for dinner that night. He was very excited when I said that we were! He liked them so much that he actually named them! If that’s not a sign that he loves a meal then I don’t know what is. I hope your family enjoys this cauliflower taco recipe as much as we do!
I’m sure you’ve seen tons of buffalo cauliflower recipes floating around out there but this one is different because I coat the cauliflower in a coconut milk oat flour batter before dipping them in panko breadcrumbs. You get more fiber and nutrients with the oat flour and the coconut milk is so rich and creamy– it’s perfect for a creamy batter.
How to Make Cauliflower Tacos
These easy buffalo cauliflower tacos are very simple to make, pinky promise!
Step #1 – Start by making the batter in a large bowl. Add the oat flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and unsweetened coconut milk (from a carton) to the bowl. Mix it well until a dippable batter forms, make sure you whisk all the oat flour lumps out.
Step #2 – Wash the cauliflower and cut the florets off. Try not to cut the florets too small or it will take a lot longer to bread each piece. I try to aim for pieces that are 1 1/2 inches – 2 inches big. Put the cauliflower florets in the bowl with the batter and toss it well to coat each piece.
Step #3 – Put the breadcrumbs into a small bowl. Use tongs to pull each piece of cauliflower out of the batter bowl and then dip it into the breadcrumbs. Transfer the breaded cauliflower on a parchment-lined tray. Bake the cauliflower for 15 minutes.
Step #4 – Remove the tray from the oven and carefully put the cauliflower into a large bowl. Pour the buffalo sauce over the cauliflower and use a large spoon to gently toss the cauliflower in the sauce. You might lose a few breadcrumbs while tossing the cauliflower but that’s ok, don’t worry about it. Return the cauliflower to the parchment-lined tray and bake it for an additional 10-12 minutes or until the cauliflower is crispy.
Step #5 – Build your roasted cauliflower tacos with your favorite taco toppings! We love spinach, red onion, and pesto cream sauce. If you don’t care for pesto, a vegan ranch sauce would be delicious too!
Is Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce Vegan?
Surprisingly, Frank’s buffalo wing sauce is vegan! It’s not gluten-free though so if you don’t consume gluten then you can make your own vegan buffalo sauce for the roasted cauliflower tacos. I use Frank’s buffalo wing sauce for this cauliflower taco recipe but if you do want to make your own buffalo sauce then try this recipe. It’s really delicious but make sure you use vegan butter.
Are These Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos Spicy?
Yes, these cauliflower tacos definitely have a kick to them so if you’re not a fan of spicy food, I would recommend that you try this roasted lemon cauliflower steak recipe instead.
Tips For Making The Best Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos
- What I love most about these vegan cauliflower tacos is how crispy the buffalo cauliflower gets in the oven! The secret to making crispy cauliflower is to roast it first, then toss it in the buffalo sauce, and then roast it again. By doing it this way, the breading really soaks up the buffalo sauce and gets super crispy.
- Use panko bread crumbs for the best crispy coating.
- Use unsweetened coconut milk from a carton to make the batter. If you use coconut milk from a can then you will need to add water to thin the batter because it will be too thick.
- These buffalo cauliflower bites reheat really well. Put them on a parchment-lined tray and broil on low for 3-5 minutes or until hot and crispy.
- You can’t freeze the buffalo cauliflower tacos leftovers, it’s best to make it fresh.
More Cauliflower Recipes You’ll Love!
If you’ve tried these vegan cauliflower tacos or any other recipe on the blog, please remember to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought of it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipes!
Bomb Ass Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos
Pesto Cream Sauce -
Pesto Cream Sauce -
- Add all the pesto ingredients to a high powered blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Store in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
Buffalo Cauliflower -
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut large florets off the head of cauliflower.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, and coconut milk. Mix until the lumps have dissolved. Add the large cauliflower florets to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix to coat every nook and cranny of the cauliflower.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Carefully, put the cauliflower bites into a big bowl and pour the buffalo sauce over the top and gently mix it to coat each piece.
- Return the coated cauliflower florets back onto the tray and bake it for an additional 10-12 minutes or until cauliflower bites are crispy. Then build your tacos!
- Make sure you don't cut the cauliflower florets too small. If they're too small then it will take a long time to coat each piece in breadcrumbs.
- If you don't want to use Frank's buffalo sauce, you can make your own vegan buffalo hot sauce (I linked to the recipe that I use in the blog post).
- If you'd like to make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free oat flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs.