This spicy Italian sausage and peppers recipe has quickly become a staple in our house. Each bite is loaded with so much flavor that you won’t believe it’s ready in only 35 minutes. Vegan.
*This post contains affiliate links.
What you need to know about this vegan Italian sausage and peppers recipe is that it’s extremely delicious, it’s ready in 35 minutes, and it makes great leftovers!
This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is loaded with flavor from the tomato paste, garlic, onions, peppers, and my new favorite ingredient –> smoked paprika! I’ve been obsessed with smoked paprika lately and I’ve been putting it on everything. I can’t believe that I’ve been cooking for the last 6 years without it! It has such a delicious flavor by itself, just wait until you taste it with the tomato paste, garlic, and onions! It’s heavenly!
This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is loaded with healthy veggies and satisfying brown rice. It’s like healthy comfort food that your whole family will love! We love it so much that I added it to our monthly meal plan!
How to Make Vegan Sausage and Peppers
It’s very easy to make this sausage, peppers, and rice skillet! Begin by cooking your rice of choice in a separate pot. While the rice is cooking, saute the onions and peppers in vegetable broth or olive oil until they’re soft, about 10 minutes. Then add the minced garlic, tomato paste, smoked paprika, cumin, Italian seasonings, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth to the peppers and onions, bring it to a low simmer, and then reduce the heat to low. In a separate small pan, cook the sliced sausages until hot for about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and the cooked rice to the pan and mix it well to combine. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
What Type of Vegan Sausage Should You Use
Yes, this Italian sausage and peppers recipe does have sausage in it– vegan sausage, of course.
I resisted using meat substitutes for the longest time but I eventually caved because I was curious. I’d heard so much about them but I didn’t want to try them because I assumed they would be full of artificial ingredients and preservatives but they’re not!
We like the Field Roast Italian or apple maple sausages (this is not a sponsored post I just really like them) the best for this sausage and peppers recipe. If you want it to be really spicy try the chorizo flavor! However, you don’t have to use the same brand that I used, just use your favorite brand.
If you don’t want to use vegan sausages in this Italian sausage and peppers recipe you could substitute crumbled tofu, sliced tempeh, or any variety of beans for protein.
Is This Recipe Spicy?
If you use the Field Roast Italian or apple maple flavored vegan sausages then this recipe isn’t spicy. If you use the chorizo variety it will be very spicy! I did add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper for a flavor boost but it doesn’t make it overly spicy. However, If you’re making this recipe for kids I would recommend that you use half the amount of cayenne first and taste it before adding the rest or omit it completely to be safe.
More Vegan Meat Recipes You’ll Love!
If you make this vegan sausage and peppers recipe, please share your picture on Instagram and tag @Stacey_Homemaker so I can see your delicious creation!
Spicy Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (Vegan)
- 2 + 1 tbsp vegetable broth (or olive oil)
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 large bell peppers sliced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2-2 cups vegetable broth (Depending on how saucy you like it)
- 1 4-pack vegan sausage sliced
- 5 cups cooked brown rice (about 2 cups dry)
- In a large pan, saute the onions and peppers in 2 tbsp of vegetable broth (add more if it gets too dry) for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the minced garlic, tomato paste, smoked paprika, cumin, Italian seasonings, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to the veggies. Mix to combine and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the peppers and onions, bring it to a low simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
- In a separate small pan, cook the sliced sausage in 1 tbsp of vegetable broth or olive oil until hot for about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cooked brown rice to the pan and mix it well to coat everything in the sauce. Garnish with parsley before serving.
- If you don't like spicy food then you should omit the cayenne pepper.
- f you don't want to use vegan sausages in this Italian sausage and peppers recipe you could substitute crumbled tofu, sliced tempeh, or any variety of beans for protein.