Simple Einkorn wheat berry salad is loaded with flavor and is surprisingly simple to prepare. We love this as a side dish with dinner or a big bowl for lunch. Vegan, dairy-free.
*This post contains affiliate links.
Last Saturday, I went to a Cooking with Ancient Grains, cooking class and I learned so much!
After the class, I remembered that I needed a quick easy side dish that I could serve with the tacos I was planning for dinner. Bingo –> einkorn wheat berry salad! It’s the perfect side dish to any meal!
[tweetthis hidden_hashtags=”#Foodie”]#Einkorn wheat berry salad is a simple #sidedish to have with any meal! #HealthyEating[/tweetthis]
What Are Einkorn Wheat Berries?
If you haven’t tried Einkorn wheat berries before because you think it’s one of those “health foods” that you definitely won’t like, I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Einkorn wheat berries are the whole grain form of wheat before it’s processed. By eating wheat berries, you are getting all the benefits of the bran and the germ in the seed.
I think wheat berries taste very similar to brown rice. Puffy little grains that are slightly chewy and nutty…yum! Plus, it’s loaded with protein! Only a 1/4 cup of einkorn wheat berries have a whopping 9 grams of protein! Wow! If you like brown rice, give wheat berries a try! I think you’ll be happily surprised.
Wheat Berry Salad Meal Prep
It’s really impossible to mess up this dish. Add whatever fresh veggies you have on hand, any fresh herbs, and the dressing and you’re ready to eat!
You could serve the einkorn wheat berries warm or cold, we like this dish both ways. We especially love packing it for lunch because you don’t need to worry and warming it up. It’s delicious. Sometimes, I like to double the recipe so we would have enough to make quick lunches all week long.
If you like to meal prep, this Einkorn wheatberry salad or skinny quinoa bowl with pistachio kale pesto would be great recipes to add to your rotation!
Simple Einkorn Wheat Berry Salad
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Einkorn wheat berries
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasonings
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 small red onion diced (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped (or more to taste)
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the wheat berries according to package directions, drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, and cilantro together. Add the sauce, tomato, zucchini, cucumbers, and red onion to the bowl with the cooled wheat berries. Toss to combine. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
If you make this vegan wheat berry salad, please share your picture on Instagram and tag @StaceyHomemaker so I can see your delicious creation!
Have you tried Einkorn wheat berries before? Let me know in the comments!