Wheat berry salad is loaded with flavor, veggies, and it’s surprisingly simple to prepare. We love this satisfying salad as a side dish with dinner or a big bowl for lunch. Vegan.
*This post contains affiliate links.
Last Saturday, I went to a Cooking with Ancient Grains, cooking class and I learned so much!
After the class, I remembered that I needed a quick easy side dish that I could serve with the wraps that I was planning for dinner. Bingo –> wheat berry salad! It’s the perfect side dish to any meal!
What Are Einkorn Wheat Berries?
Einkorn wheat berries are the whole grain form of wheat before it’s processed. By eating wheat berries, you are getting all the benefits of the bran and the germ in the seed.
I think wheat berries taste very similar to brown rice. Puffy little grains that are slightly chewy and nutty…yum! Plus, it’s loaded with protein! Only a 1/4 cup of einkorn wheat berries have a whopping 9 grams of protein! Wow! If you like brown rice, give wheat berries a try! I think you’ll be happily surprised.
Vegan Meal Prep
It’s really impossible to mess up this dish. Add whatever fresh veggies you have on hand, any fresh herbs, the dressing, and you’re ready to eat! You could serve the wheat berry salad warm or cold, it’s delicious both ways.
If you like to meal prep, this wheat berry salad or skinny quinoa bowl with pistachio kale pesto would be great recipes to add to your rotation! I usually double the recipe so we’ll have easy lunches to eat for the week!
If you make this vegan wheat berry salad, please share your picture on Instagram and tag @Stacey_Homemaker so I can see your delicious creation!
Simple Einkorn Wheat Berry Salad
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Einkorn wheat berries
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (juice from 1/2 a lemon)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped (more to taste)
- Cook the wheat berries according to package directions, drain well and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper together. Add the diced tomato, zucchini, cucumbers, red onion, cilantro, and wheat berries to the bowl. Toss to combine.
- You can substitute lime juice for lemon juice.
- You can use barley, quinoa, or brown rice instead of wheat berries.