You only need 15 minutes, less than 10 ingredients, and a blender to make this uber creamy and satisfying vegan alfredo sauce recipe! Vegan and gluten-free.
*This post contains affiliate links.
When I want to get a satisfying and delicious dinner on the table super quick, my go-to is always pasta. I used to just reach for a jar of pre-made tomato sauce but I’ve been trying to eat less processed foods lately, so I created the most delicious and easy to make creamy vegan alfredo sauce (cashew-based)! This is my #1 favorite pasta sauce recipe and I know that as soon as you taste it you’ll love it too.
Does Alfredo Sauce Have Dairy?
Yes, traditional alfredo sauce is loaded with dairy. It almost always contains, milk, heavy cream, butter, and parmesan cheese. My version of a vegan alfredo sauce recipe does not contain any of those harmful ingredients, and in my opinion, it tastes 100x better!
Can Vegetarians Eat Alfredo Sauce?
Vegans cannot but vegetarians can eat traditional alfredo sauce because it’s made of milk, cream, butter, and cheese (vegetarians still consume dairy). However, this vegan alfredo sauce is a better healthy option for both vegans and vegetarians to enjoy.
How To Make This Vegan Alfredo Sauce Recipe
I focus on creating easy vegan recipes here at Stacey Homemaker and that’s exactly what this recipe is…EASY! All you need is 8 ingredients (not counting water, salt, and pepper), a high-speed blender, and pasta to pour this addicting sauce all over.
Start by soaking the raw cashews. You have two options: 1) Soak the cashews in cold water in the fridge overnight, or 2) Cover the cashews in water and boil them for 10 minutes. It’s important to soak the cashews because its easier for your body to digest them. I usually don’t remember to soak the cashews overnight so I tend to boil them right before I need them for this vegan alfredo sauce.
While the cashews are boiling, get a separate pot with water going to cook the pasta in. I like to cook the pasta while I’m making the vegan alfredo sauce recipe so everything is ready at the same time. After you boil the cashews, drain the water and put the cashews into a high-speed blender. This is the blender that I use almost every single day and I love it. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, Italian seasonings, chili flakes, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and unsweetened coconut milk to the blender with the cashews. Blend all the ingredients together until the sauce is super smooth and creamy.
You can pour the creamy vegan alfredo sauce from the blender directly over the hot noodles (I usually do this because I don’t want to dirty another pan and the noodles are hot enough to warm the sauce) or you can pour the sauce into a new pan and heat it up before you add it to the noodles.
If you prefer a cauliflower-based sauce (with half the amount of cashews), try this cauliflower alfredo vegan sauce instead. It’s delicious too!
Can You Freeze Vegan Alfredo Sauce?
Yes, you absolutely can freeze this vegan alfredo sauce recipe. I like to freeze the sauce by itself (without noodles) in a glass snapware container and then let it defrost in the fridge overnight. Then you heat it up in a large pan and you might need to add additional coconut milk or water to the sauce to thin it out a bit.
Tips For Making The Best Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Don’t omit any of the ingredients. Each one is essential to giving flavor to the cashew sauce.
- If you have extra time and want to add an extra punch of flavor to the vegan alfredo sauce, you can substitute roasted or sauteed garlic instead of using garlic powder. I use garlic powder because it’s quick and convenient but when I have time then I like to ramp up the flavor with cooked garlic.
- Do not substitute any other nuts or seeds for the cashews because it won’t turn out the same. You need to use cashews to get the creamy buttery consistency that alfredo sauce is known for.
- This vegan alfredo sauce recipe is a fantastic base! You can eat it plain just like this (just noodles and sauce) or you can add spinach, vegetables, or vegan meat replacements (like Gardein chickenless strips or sliced Field Roast Italian sausage).
More Vegan Creamy Cashew Recipes You’ll Love
If you tried these vegan stuffed tomatoes, please remember to post a picture of it on Instagram and let me know what you thought of it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious vegan recipes.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- (Cook the pasta while you're making the vegan alfredo sauce) Put the raw cashews in a small pot and cover them with water. Boil for 10 minutes and then carefully drain the water.
- Put the soaked cashews, garlic powder, onion powder, chili flakes, Italian seasonings, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, soy milk, and lemon juice in a high-speed blender and blend in high until smooth and creamy. Pour the sauce over the hot noodles.