Roasted bell peppers stuffed with quinoa and fresh cilantro lime salsa. Salsa stuffed peppers will be your new favorite meatless Monday meal! Vegan, gluten-free.
I’ve made stuffed peppers quite a few times and each time I try to use a different filling. Sometimes, I use rice but today I decided on quinoa! Quinoa is a really easy substitute that’s good for you and delicious, it’s also a complete plant-based protein! My fiance scarfed these salsa stuffed peppers up super quick, he especially loved the salsa flavor!
Last week, I made wayyy too much of my favorite cilantro lime salsa. How can you have too much salsa you ask? I know, I didn’t think it was possible, but it is. I ran out of chips and didn’t feel like making another trip to the store to get more. I swear I live at the grocery store as it is. So, I was racking my brain for ideas about what to use the extra salsa for and I came up with salsa stuffed peppers! Super easy and definitely a new family favorite.
Salsa Stuffed Peppers Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and cut off the tops. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I removed the stems and put the tops into the dish with the peppers and baked them for 20 minutes.
While the peppers are baking, rinse and cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. When the quinoa is done, add the salsa and stir to combine. I also diced the tops of the peppers into small pieces and added it to the quinoa mix. You can use a jar of salsa if you don’t have time to make fresh salsa. (Even though my favorite salsa is super easy and delish, just sayin!)
The quinoa soaks up all that juicy salsa and makes the perfect filling for the peppers that are baking in the oven. Quinoa by itself can be kind of bland, adding the flavor loaded salsa takes it to the next level! Once the peppers are done, spoon the quinoa mixture into the peppers.
If you’ve tried this quinoa spinach salad or any other recipe on the blog, please remember to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought of it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious vegan recipes + our monthly trips to Disney World!
Salsa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups salsa (save a little for topping)
- 1 Tbsp cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the seeds and stems from the peppers. Put the peppers and their tops into a medium-sized baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
- While the peppers are baking, rinse and cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
- When the quinoa is done, add the salsa and mix it well. Dice the pepper tops and add to the quinoa mix.
- Remove the peppers from oven & fill each pepper the quinoa salsa. Top with a spoonful of salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro before serving.
- Optional - Sprinkle vegan shredded cheese over each pepper and put them back into the oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.