Roasted Acorn Squash Hummus Recipe Without Tahini
Say goodbye to plain ol' hummus and give this savory roasted acorn squash hummus recipe without tahini a try instead! It's super creamy, flavorful, and it's the perfect fall-inspired snack to enjoy during the holidays. Vegan and gluten-free.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the acorn squash in half (try to cut around the stem as it’s tough to cut through) and remove the seeds.
Drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil over the inside of the squash and use your fingers to. massage it all over the exposed flesh. Season wtih a sprinkle of smoked paprike, sea salt and pepper. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
When the squash is almost done roasting, start to prepare the rest of the hummus ingredients in a blender or food processor. Rinse and drain one 14 oz can of chickpeas and then add them to the blender. Also add one small garlic clove, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, garam masala, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
When the acorn squash is done cooking, wait until it’s cool enough to handle and then scoop out the flesh and add it to the blender. Discard the skin. Blend on high until the hummus is smooth and creamy. Garnish with red pepper flakes.
- You can substitute white beans for chickpeas, both options make delicious hummus without tahini.
- Fresh lemon juice is my favorite way to give hummus a bright flavor, but if you don't have it you could substitute a lime or white wine vinegar.
- If you don't want to use oil to make hummus, you can substitute water 1:1.
- Acorn squash skin is edible but it doesn't blend very well into the hummus, so I recommend scooping out the squash and discarding the skin.
- If you want to add tahini, I recommend to add 2 tbsp.
- Store the leftover acorn squash hummus without tahini in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze it for a future snack.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 385mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 457IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg