Avocado Arugula Tomato Salad
Juicy cherry tomatoes, spicy arugula, and creamy avocado tossed in a tangy balsamic vinaigrette is the perfect healthy side dish! Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free.
Tomato Salad -
- 1 pint yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 pint red cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 5 oz baby arugula, roughly chopped
- 2 large firm avocados (ripe but not too soft), cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 6 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
Put the halved tomatoes, chopped arugula, diced red onion, basil leaves, and avocado chunks into a large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, garlic, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper until well combined. Pour the dressing over the tomato salad. Gently mix the salad until the dressing has been evenly distributed. Garnish with fresh basil.
- It's best to make this salad right before you want to serve it. If you prep it too early, the juice from the tomatoes will make the arugula soggy and the avocados will turn brown.
- You can prep the dressing early if you want to, just wait until right before you serve the tomato salad to dress it.
- Spinach or kale would be a tasty substitute for arugula.
- If you're serving this salad for a party or event, I recommend squeezing fresh lemon juice over the avocado chunks to help preserve their bright green color.
- Use avocados that are ready to eat but make sure they're not too soft.