Vegan Pumpkin Sweet Potato Soup
This vegan pumpkin and sweet potato soup is a Fall staple! The combination of pumpkin puree, sweet potatoes, red lentils, fresh ginger, and coconut milk is incredibly delicious and festive! This recipe is gluten-free, oil-free, and ready to eat in less than one hour!
Servings 6 servings
6-Quart Dutch Oven
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable broth or water (to saute)
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ cup dried red lentils rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
In a large pot over medium heat, saute sliced onions in 3-4 tbsp of broth (or water) until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic, minced ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper and let it cook for 3 minutes to toast the spices.
Add the diced sweet potatoes, red lentils, pumpkin puree, 1 cup water, and 4 cups broth to the pot. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium. Cover with the lid and let it cook for 25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and then lentils are soft.
Transfer the mixture to a high-powered blender and blend until it's smooth and creamy. You may need to do this step in batches depending on the size of your blender cup.
Pour the pureed soup back into the pot and stir in a ½ cup of coconut milk. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds, chives, and a drizzle of coconut milk before serving.
- Make sure to use pureed pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Peel the sweet potatoes before dicing them and adding them to the soup. After blending, the skin will leave little flakes in the creamy soup.
- To garnish, reserve 1 tbsp of the coconut milk to drizzle a few drops over each bowl and then drag a knife or toothpick through the drops to make a swirl pattern. You can also top each bowl with roasted seeds and chives.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or you can freeze it for a future meal.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 898mg | Potassium: 622mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 22494IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 3mg