Super Easy Vegan Chili
Super easy vegan chili is loaded with beans, tempeh, vegetables, and fire-roasted tomatoes! Everything you love about chili but with less prep work + it's ready in under an hour! Vegan and Gluten-free.
Saute the diced onion in olive oil over medium heat until it's translucent. Add the minced garlic, tomato paste, and all of the dry seasonings. You may need to add a splash of water or vegetable broth if it's too dry to mix. Let it cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, diced tomatoes with juice, maple syrup, vegetable broth, (optional) water, frozen butternut squash, red pepper, black beans, kidney beans, crumbled tempeh, and frozen corn. Stir it well to combine. Bring it to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover it, and let it simmer for 30-35 minutes.
Squeeze 1/2 of a lime (or more to taste) over the chili and then top each bowl with vegan sour cream, green onions, cilantro, and pickled jalapenos!
- If you'd like to make your own beans using dried beans, use 1 cup of dried black beans and 1 cup of dried kidney beans instead of the canned beans.
- If you prefer a super strong tomato flavored chili, replace the 4 cups of vegetable broth with a second can of fire-roasted tomatoes + 1-2 cups of water.
- If you're not a fan of tempeh, use crumbled and baked tofu, chopped roasted walnuts, or bulgur instead.
- Let the chili simmer at the end for the full 30 minutes, that's where a lot of the flavor develops!
- I hope you will try the tempeh because it gives a lot of nutrients and a meaty texture to the chili but if you don't care for it (I know some people don't love it) then you could substitute baked tofu crumbles, quinoa, chopped roasted walnuts, bulgur or barley in it's place.
- I used frozen chunks of butternut squash because cutting a fresh squash can be difficult. If you can't find frozen butternut squash chunks, chopped sweet potatoes would be a tasty substitute.
- Make sure you use chili powder and not chile powder because chile powder is very spicy!
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.5g | Protein: 15.1g | Fat: 15.9g | Saturated Fat: 7.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.9g | Potassium: 617mg | Fiber: 7.6g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 3885IU | Vitamin C: 89.3mg | Calcium: 435mg | Iron: 2.6mg