Vegan Basil Pistachio Kale Sauce
Vegan basil pistachio kale sauce features vitamin-rich kale leaves blended with rich and buttery pistachios, fresh basil leaves, garlic, and tangy lemon juice. This flavorful sauce is extremely versatile and can be enjoyed as a veggie dip, sandwich spread, pasta sauce, or salad dressing!
Servings 4 servings
- 3 cups loosely packed kale stems removed
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pistachios shells removed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup water (add more to taste)
Remove the stems from the kale leaves and take the pistachios out of the shells.
Put 3 cups kale leaves (stems removed), 1 cup basil leaves, 1/4 cup pistachios (shells removed), 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 small garlic clove, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/3 cup water into a medium-sized blender cup (I used a Nutribullet) and blend until smooth and creamy.
If the sauce is too thick, keep adding 1 tbsp water at a time to the sauce until you reach your desired consistency.
You can use the sauce immediately or you can put it in the fridge to chill for 1 hour if you prefer a cold dressing.
- Kale stems taste bitter, so make sure to remove them before adding the leaves to the blender. If you don't want to discard the edible stems, you can thinly slice them and add the steams to this vegetable barley soup.
- Don't damage your fingernails trying break apart all of the pistachio shells. Open one shell and then use that shell as a lever to pry open the other shells.
- Store the vegan pistachio sauce in an airtight container (like a mason jar) in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze it for a future meal.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1922IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg