Curried Tofu Scramble
This vegan curried tofu scramble is an easy to make, gluten-free breakfast that's high-protein, super filling, and it's loaded with vegetables! This dish is great for breakfast any day of the week or for Sunday brunch!
Servings 6 servings
Large Saute Pan
Press the block of tofu for 30 minutes. Drain the excess water.
In a large pan, saute the onions in 3-4 tbsp vegetable broth until soft. Add the sliced mushrooms and diced red peppers. Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Push the cooked veggies to one side of the pan. Put the block of pressed and drained tofu on the other side of the pan and use a wooden spoon to break it up into chunks.
Sprinkle ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp curry powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp coriander, ¼ tsp paprika, and ¼ tsp garam masala over the crumbled tofu. Stir the tofu around until it turns yellow and is coated with the seasonings. Mix the tofu with the vegetables.
Add 2-3 cups of spinach and let it cook for a few minutes until it starts to wilt. Season with ¼ tsp black salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Garnish with green onions before serving.
- It's important to press the tofu to get rid of the excess liquid so you don't end up with a wet scramble. I like to use a tofu press, but wrapping the block in a towel and putting a heavy pot or book on top will work too.
- Try to sprinkle the spice mixture directly over the tofu, so the tofu will absorb the turmeric powder for color and the other seasonings for flavor. Once the tofu is yellow, then you can mix it all together.
- The turmeric powder is not for flavor, it's what gives the tofu a vibrant yellow color. If you omit it, the tofu won't look like scrambled eggs.
- To give the tofu scramble an eggy flavor, you can use kala namak salt (black salt) instead of plain sea salt. However, you don't need to use it to make this recipe taste good. If you use regular salt, it will still be delicious.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze it for a future meal.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 64kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 353mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1857IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg