Vegan Lentil Sweet Potato Chili
Made with red lentils, sweet potatoes, black and kidney beans, and vegetables, this vegan sweet potato chili is hearty, flavorful, and perfect to enjoy on a chilly Fall or Winter day. This recipe is easy to make and it's made in the slow cooker!
Servings 10 servings
Large Slow Cooker
- 1 cup dairy-free sour cream (I used Kite Hill greek yogurt)
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos sliced
- 1 bunch green onions or chives chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
In a slow cooker, add all of the ingredients except for the lime juice and toppings.
Stir to combine, cover it with the lid, and set it to cook on high for 4 hours.
After 4 hours, remove the lid and stir in 1 tbsp lime juice. Taste and add more salt or other seasonings if necessary. Use an immersion blender to thicken the chili a little bit. Or you can remove one cup of the soup and blend it in a blender and then stir it back into the slow cooker. Leave the lid off for 10-15 minutes and it will continue to thicken.
Top each bowl with sour cream, avocado, green onions, fresh cilantro, pickled jalapenos, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes before serving.
- Make sure that you use chili powder that is a blend (a mix of chili peppers, oregano, cumin, garlic, and onion), not ground chili peppers. If you use pure ground chili peppers (like cayenne pepper), it will be extremely spicy.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks so they're easy to eat.
- Use canned legumes for convenience, but dried beans and lentils are cheaper. Either will work. You can cook the dried lentils in the chili, but if you use dried beans (1 cup of each), they need to be cooked prior to being added to the slow cooker.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or you can freeze it for a future meal.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 739mg | Potassium: 1041mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 10957IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 6mg