Slow Cooker Vegan Pulled Pork Recipe
You only need 6 simple ingredients and a slow cooker to make this finger-licking vegan jackfruit pulled pork recipe! This crowd-pleasing dish is perfect for dinner at home or to bring to a vegan BBQ or gathering!
Servings 8 servings
Put the diced onions, rinsed and drained canned jackfruit, pineapple chunks, BBQ sauce, and (optional) whiskey into a large 6-quart slow cooker.
Stir it all together, cover it, and set it to cook on high for 3 hours.
After 3 hours, remove the lid, and use two forks to shred the softened jackfruit chunks. You could also use a potato masher or wooden spoon to lightly break up the jackfruit chunks.
Add the arrowroot powder to the slow cooker and stir it well to combine. Leave the lid off and let the BBQ vegan pulled pork continue to cook for 10-15 more minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
Serve the vegan pulled pork on soft rolls with a spoonful of vegan coleslaw and a pineapple slice. Enjoy!
- Here is the recipe for the vegan coleslaw that you can make to top the BBQ jackfruit sliders.
- Make sure to rinse and drain the canned jackfruit very well before adding it to the slow cooker. Canned jackfruit is packed in a salty brine that you should rinse off before cooking with it.
- Only use young green jackfruit as a meat replacement. Ripe jackfruit is sweet and won't work for this recipe.
- I've found that cooking the jackfruit on high for 3 hours in the slow cooker is better than cooking the jackfruit on low for 7 hours. If you cook the tinned jackfruit for too long it gets too soft and mushy.
- Store the leftover BBQ jackfruit in an airtight glass container (these are my favorite glass containers!) for 3-4 days or you can freeze it for a future meal.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 456mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 151IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg