Vegan Stuffed Peppers
These vegan stuffed peppers are loaded with the most delicious jackfruit and salsa rice filling! This will be your new favorite Meatless Monday dinner! Vegan, gluten-free.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 servings
Medium Casserole Dish
Large Saute Pan
- mashed avocado
- lime wedges
- vegan sour cream
- sliced green onion
- pickled jalapeños
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the rice according to package instructions. Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder to the water while the rice is cooking to turn the rice yellow.
While the rice is cooking, put the drained and rinsed jackfruit, water, and all of the dry seasonings (except the turmeric) into a large saute pan. Cover it and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Use a spatula to break up the jackfruit.
While the jackfruit and rice are cooking, prep the bell peppers. Cut off the tops and remove the seeds and membranes.
Add the cooked rice and 1 cup of salsa to the pan with the cooked jackfruit. Mix it well and fill each pepper with the rice mixture. Optional - Top each pepper with vegan cheese.
Add 2 tbsp of water to the bottom of the casserole dish to stop the peppers from sticking. Arrange the peppers to fit snugly in the casserole dish. Bake the peppers for 30 minutes or until tender. Top with fresh lime juice, guacamole, cilantro, vegan sour cream, and jalapenos.
- These stuffed peppers are naturally gluten-free.
- To add more protein, add (1) 14 oz can of black or kidney beans or tempeh to the filling.
- If you don't want the dish to be spicy make sure you use mild salsa.
- To make vegan quinoa stuffed peppers, simply swap the brown rice for quinoa.
- Don't throw out the bell pepper tops, you can dice them up and add them to the filling or add them raw to a salad.
- Try to pick yellow, orange, or red peppers that are similar in size so the peppers cook evenly.
- I used store-bought salsa to keep this recipe super simple but if you're watching your sodium intake then it's completely fine to use homemade salsa instead.
- Just like with jackfruit tacos, and jackfruit enchiladas, toppings are important on vegan stuffed red peppers too! We like to add guacamole, extra salsa, vegan cheese, cilantro, fresh lime juice, vegan sour cream (we like Kite Hill unsweetened plain greek yogurt), green onions, and fresh cilantro!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4495IU | Vitamin C: 152.8mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1.9mg