Zucchini Tomato Pesto Veggie Bake
This delicious vegan pesto veggie bake is easy to make, quick to assemble, and it's so IMPRESSIVE! This beautiful healthy side dish is perfect to make for the holidays or to go with your weeknight dinner.
Servings 6 servings
Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 8 medium roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- 4 small red onions thinly sliced
First, you’re going to make the pesto sauce. Add the fresh basil leaves, pumpkin seeds, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, water, salt, and pepper to a blender or food processor. Blend the sauce until smooth and set it aside for later.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use a hand mandolin to thinly slice the zucchini, tomatoes, and red onions 1/8"-1/4" thick. Be very careful with the mandolin, it's very sharp!
Brush a light coating of oil on the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Then arrange the sliced vegetables in the pan in this order: zucchini, tomato, zucchini, red onion. Repeat this order until you run out of vegetables. Start with the larger outer circle first, then do a smaller circle inside of the outer circle. Lastly, fill in the center hole.
Drizzle the vegan pesto sauce over the vegetables and then use a silicone brush to brush the sauce over all the vegetables in the pan.
Lay a piece of unbleached parchment paper on top of the vegetables and bake it for 30-35 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Try to buy zucchini and Roma tomatoes that are similar in size, width-wise. Also, look for the smallest red onions. You want the vegetables to be uniform in size so they roast evenly.
- Use a hand mandolin to quickly slice the vegetables. Using this tool really reduces your prep time!
- You can use store-bought vegan pesto sauce if you don't want to make it from scratch. I often use the organic vegan pesto sauce from Sprout's, it's delish!
- Store the leftover roasted vegetables in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- This recipe does not freeze well. Tomatoes and zucchini get very mushy after they've been frozen and defrosted.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 111mg | Potassium: 550mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1307IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg