Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Broccoli and Vegan Cheese Sauce
Roasted vegan stuffed sweet potatoes are filled with broccoli and topped with the most delicious vegan cheese sauce! This is healthy vegan comfort food! Vegan and gluten-free.
Servings 4 servings
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (Purple, garnet, or jewel)
Sweet Potatoes -
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Wash each sweet potato and prick it a few times with a fork or knife. If you don't pierce the skin, the potato might burst in the oven.
Place the sweet potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes - 1 hour (depending on how big they are) or until the skin is easily pierced with a knife.
Roasted Broccoli -
(Wait to start the broccoli until the sweet potatoes have about 25 minutes left so everything will be finished around the same time.) You can use fresh or frozen broccoli. If you're using a fresh head of broccoli, cut the florets off the stem and dice the stem.
Lay the broccoli florets on a parchment lined tray. If you just washed the broccoli (or if it's frozen) then it will still be a little wet so it will help the seasonings stick to it. If the broccoli is dry, add two tbsp of vegetable broth or water and toss it to coat before adding the seasonings. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper over the broccoli and toss to coat evenly.
Roast at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
Vegan Cheese Sauce -
Make the vegan cheese sauce while the broccoli and potatoes are roasting.
Saute the onions in vegetable broth in a large pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, potatoes, cashews, and two cups of water. Bring it to a low simmer, cover it, reduce the heat to medium and let it cook for 20 minutes or until everything is soft.
Transfer all of the cooked vegetables to a high-powered blender. Also add the vegetable broth, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, and pepper to the blender. Blend on high until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
Pour the sauce back into the pan and let it heat up. Taste the sauce and add more salt if necessary.
When the potatoes and broccoli are done roasting, stuff each potato with broccoli and pour the hot vegan cheese sauce over the top. Garnish with green onions or chives.
- You can use purple, garnet, or jewel sweet potatoes for this recipe. If you don't want to use sweet potatoes then you could also make the recipe with russet, gold, or red potatoes. Any of these options would be delicious.
- You can use fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe.
- You can do what I do and make a big batch of vegan broccoli cheese soup, eat half of it as soup, and then use the leftover cheezy broccoli sauce to pour over potatoes.
- You can make the potatoes, broccoli, and vegan cheese sauce all within one hour if you do it in this order. First, start by roasting the sweet potatoes. When the sweet potatoes have 25 minutes left to roast, put the tray of broccoli into the oven. As soon as you put the broccoli in the oven, start making the vegan cheese sauce. If you follow these steps, everything will be done around the same time.
- Green onions or chives are the best toppings.
- Store the leftover cheese sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze it for another meal.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 836mg | Potassium: 1233mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 37580IU | Vitamin C: 17.5mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 4.1mg