This Recipe Will Make You Love Baked Tofu!
If you think you don't like tofu, I bet this 30-minute baked tofu recipe will change your mind! You can add this delicious crispy baked tofu to tacos, wraps, salads, pasta, and more! Easy to make, protein-packed, and being absolutely delicious are just a few reasons why you should try this simple tofu recipe! Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
Cook Time 30 minutes
Pressing Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Large Baking Tray
- (1) 14 oz block firm tofu pressed
- 1 tbsp low-sodium tamari
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp salt-free taco seasoning
Begin by pressing a block of firm tofu in a tofu press over a plate (to catch the water) for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. After 30 minutes, drain the tofu and lay the block of tofu on a parchment paper lined tray. Use a sharp knife to cut the block of tofu into 4 slices that are 1-inch wide. (For bigger cubes, cut the tofu into 4 slices. For smaller cubes, cut the tofu into 5 slices.)
Next, cut the tofu block into 4 slices the other direction. Then, lay the slices down and cut them into 3/4-inch cubes. You should end up with 32-40 cubes, depending on how many slices you cut.
Sprinkle 1 tbsp of low-sodium tamari evenly over the tofu cubes and use a large spoon to quickly toss the tofu cubes around the tray to absorb all of the tamari. This light coating of tamari seasons the tofu and it makes it wet so the dry seasonings will stick without using oil.
Sprinkle 1 tbsp each of nutritional yeast and taco seasonings over the tofu cubes. Toss to coat each piece in the seasonings and arrange the tofu cubes into even rows on the tray. Bake the seasoned tofu for 30 minutes.
Remove the tray of baked tofu from the oven and let it cool for 1-2 minutes so you don’t burn your mouth. Serve the baked tofu cubes in tacos, wraps, burritos, or you could add it to taco salad or to pasta.
- I've found that firm tofu has the best consistency for this baked tofu recipe. You could also use extra firm tofu, but don't use silken tofu.
- Do not skip pressing the tofu! If you do then it won't turn out crispy and the texture will be soggy.
- If you want bigger tofu cubes, cut the tofu block into 4 slices vertically and horizontally. If you want smaller tofu cubes, cut the tofu block into 5 slices vertically and horizontally.
- Line your baking tray with unbleached parchment paper so the tofu won't stick to the tray and it makes clean up a breeze.
- Store leftover baked tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 309mg | Potassium: 47mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 62IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 1mg