Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This simple vegan mac and cheese recipe is the real deal! It's super creamy, extra cheesy, kid-friendly, non-vegan approved, and it's ready in only 25 minutes! This is the only vegan mac and cheese recipe you'll ever need because it's that good!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 8 servings
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk it for about 3 minutes to make a roux. Slowly pour in the unsweetened coconut milk while whisking continuously. Let it heat up for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
Add the vegan shredded cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, turmeric powder (just for color not flavor) salt, and pepper to the saucepan. Keep stirring until all the cheese melts.
While you're making the cheese sauce, boil the elbow noodles in salted water in a separate pot. When the noodles are done cooking, drain them well but reserve 1 cup of the salted water in case you want to thin out the sauce to your desired consistency. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked noodles and mix it well. Garnish with parsley.
- You don't have to use all cheddar cheese, you can switch it up and use different flavors of vegan cheese if you like.
- If you use vegan sliced cheese or a block, make sure you cut it up so it's easier to melt.
- If you want to imitate the bright yellow color of boxed macaroni and cheese for kids, add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder to boost the yellow color. It won't impact the flavor, just the color.
- If you want to make pasta with a white sauce, omit the turmeric because it's just added for color.
- If you like a vegan macaroni and cheese recipe with nutritional yeast, add 2-3 tbsp to the cheese sauce.
- You can make this recipe gluten-free by using GF flour and pasta.
- Reserve 1 cup of the salted pasta water to loosen the cheese sauce to your desired consistency.
- Only use vegan butter and vegan cheese that you really love the flavor.
- Make sure you use unsweetened plant or nut milk so you don't end up with a sweet vegan mac and cheese sauce.
- Use elbow noodles or any type of noodle that twists or curves because it will hold the sauce the best.
Calories: 644kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Potassium: 407mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 280IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 3.2mg