Having a first look on our wedding day was so special and magical! Here are 5 reasons why you should have a first look too!
Photo and video credit – Rad Red Creative
I recently shared all the details from our beautiful Cross Creek Ranch wedding but I wanted to do a separate post about why couples should do a First Look because it was so special for us.
I was dead set on not seeing each other before the ceremony right up until a few weeks before the wedding. I had always pictured myself walking gracefully down the aisle with my dad towards a teary-eyed groom.
The first time I witnessed a First Look was while watching the wedding episode of Jill Duggar and her husband on 19 Kids and Counting. I was shocked that they saw each other before the ceremony!
What the heck… that’s not the way it’s done! These are the thoughts that ran through my head:
- They just ruined the surprise for each other!
- Walking down the aisle won’t be special anymore.
- What’s the point of waiting all this time to get married and then blowing it right before the ceremony?
- What if the groom didn’t like your dress and seem less than impressed?
- Nobody was there to witness their special moment.
At the time, I didn’t get it. Once we got into wedding planning mode and we kept inching closer and closer to our wedding day, I started to think about First Looks in a different way.
- I’m really nervous, what’s it going to be like seeing Travis for the first time walking down the aisle with everyone staring at us?
- What do you mean we can’t have any personal time when I get to the end of the aisle? All this build up and we have to go directly into the ceremony? We can’t have a few minutes alone to hug, kiss and check on each other?
- Hmm…why is it a tradition to not see each other before the wedding?
- We have to take how many pictures after the ceremony before we can go to the reception and start the party?
- You get different types of pictures at different times during the day. Lighting makes all the difference!
- Will Travis still cry when I walk down the aisle and sees me for the second time?