A crispy grilled cheese sandwich with a cheesy, creamy spinach artichoke dip filling.
What can I say about this sandwich, other than it exceeds all my cheese hopes, dreams, and wishes!
I know it sounds cheesy, but I’m oh-so-seriously in love with this piece of grilled cheese heaven.
It doesn’t get any better than this sandwich right here, folks.
As my mom always says, “cook once and eat twice,” and that’s exactly what I did. Last week, I made this delicious Parmesan Crusted Kale Artichoke Dip. Clearly, I didn’t make enough because we finished it one sitting. I still had a hankering for more dip so I made a double batch of the same recipe, but I used spinach instead of kale because it was on sale this week. If you have kale on hand, you could definitely use that instead!
I definitely made enough spin dip this time. We had it as an appetizer with chips and used the leftovers the next day for lunch in these yummy grilled cheese sammies. I made the sandwiches with slices of my favorite homemade No-Knead Whole Wheat Chia Bread. When you assemble the sandwiches, add a little extra parmesan cheese on top to make it more grilled cheese-ish.
- 1 T butter, for sautéing
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 2 bags of spinach, washed and drained of liquid
- 1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 2 T butter, for roux
- 2 T flour
- 1¾ cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese for topping before baking
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese for adding to the sandwiches before pressing
- In a large pan, sauté the diced onion in butter for 8-10 minutes, over medium heat.
- Drain and rinse the artichoke hearts. Give them a rough chop, you want to have large chunks.
- Add garlic and artichoke hearts to the pan, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach, sauté for 2-3 minutes or until just slightly wilted.
- Set spinach mix aside. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add 2 T butter. Once melted, add the flour, and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk. Stir and let cook for 3-4 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and ¾ cup parmesan cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add cayenne pepper, pepper and just a little dash of salt. The cheese is salty so you don't want to add too much.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until everything is fully melted and combined.
- Add the spinach mixture into the cheese sauce. Stir to coat the spinach in the sauce.
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
- Pour the dip into a small casserole dish, sprinkle ¼ cup parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and starting to lightly brown.
- Serve immediately as a dip, save the leftovers for grilled cheese sandwiches. If you don't want to eat it for a dip, don't bake it and just spoon the mixture right from the pan onto your sandwich bread.
- Press the sandwiches 4-5 minutes or until desired crispness.
Note – I doubled the recipe above to have enough for a dip appetizer, and leftovers for the grilled cheese sandwiches.
Before I press my sandwiches, I like to lightly spray the outer bread slices with my misto so it gets crispy and has the grill marks.
The flavors in this spinach artichoke dip grilled cheese sammie will knock your socks off! I love all the garlic, onions and big chunks of artichokes. Plus, you’re eating tons of spinach. Does it matter if it’s covered in cheese? Nope, still counts! Just call me Popeye, I love me some spinach!
Have I convinced you to try this spinach artichoke dip grilled cheese sammie yet? I promise you won’t regret it, and you’ll be going back for seconds and thirds!
What’s your favorite grilled cheese filling? Do you prefer a classic or unusual sammie? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
You may also like…