Super simple zucchini quesadillas are our new favorite lunch! Thinly sliced zucchini strips, mild cheddar cheese, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper gives these vegetarian quesadillas a kick!
Zucchini are one of my all time favorite veggies!
I love spring and summer, mainly because zucchini are in season, and it’s super cheap! When they are marked $.99 lb, I stock up big time. Zucchini is so versatile, you can use them in so many different recipes.
The beet hummus recipe is from my friend, WifeMamaFoodie, you can get her recipe here. Once you try it, I promise you won’t go back to plain ol’ hummus ever again. The only change I made, was to use the whole beet instead of half.
I also buy extra zucchini to chop up and freeze for soups and stews. My FoodSaver is one of my favorite kitchen tools. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend them. I use mine all the time. It saves me so much money, and it really helps to reduce food waste.
Spicy Zucchini Quesadillas
Back to the good stuff…cheesy spicy zucchini quesadillas. Swoon.
I’ve made these zucchini quesadillas three times this week. No joke. They are seriously delicious and so easy to make.
I use my hand mandolin to slice the zucchini because I really like how thin they come out. I can’t slice them that thin by hand, and they cook really quickly this way.
One note about the mandolin, please be careful when you use it, and use the guard! The first time I used it, I didn’t use the guard and I lost a big chunk of skin from my finger. Ugh, so not fun.
I layer the zucchini on the tortilla first, sprinkle the mild cheddar cheese next and finish with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. That’s it! So easy, right?
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice the zucchini into long strips.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom tortilla.
- Layer the zucchini strips on top of the cheese on the bottom tortilla, make sure to evenly cover the whole tortilla. You don't want any plain spots! Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and seasonings evenly over the zucchini. Top with the second tortilla.
- Sauté the quesadilla in olive oil over medium heat 4-5 mins per side, or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Mash the avocado, season with salt and pepper, and serve with the warm quesadilla.
If you don’t like spicy foods, you can skip the cayenne pepper. I like to sprinkle a little bit on because zucchini is very mild, so the cayenne pepper gives it a big flavor boost.
I like to serve the zucchini quesadilla hot and crispy, with a mashed avocado on the side. Dip a slice of the spicy zucchini quesadilla into the cool and creamy avocado, and you’re basically in foodie heaven.
What’s your favorite way to eat zucchini? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
You may also like…