Clinton Kelly’s fabulous sweet potato burgers are a hit in our house and I think you’ll love them just as much as we do! It’s the most delicious Meatless Monday meal! Vegan.
Clinton Kelly’s Fabulous Sweet Potato Burgers on The Chew
If you watched The Chew this week, you may have also seen Clinton Kelly make his fabulous sweet potato burgers.
I was fast-forwarding through a few episodes to see if any recipes looked good to me when I saw him working on the sweet potato burgers. I knew right away that I wanted to try them. I love a good veggie burger! Daphne Oz said they were the best veggie burgers she ever had!
I 100% agree! These sweet potato burgers really are fabulous.
You have to be careful when buying veggie burgers pre-made, they can be loaded with sodium. Homemade veggie burgers are always better.
I love that the sweet potatoes are the main ingredient in the veggie burgers, not just an add-in. I also really like that they’re diced and roasted, not baked whole then scooped out. Roasting the chunks makes each bite a total flavor bomb!
I didn’t have any cashews on hand. Actually, I did have cashews in the pantry, but someone (cough, cough, Travis) ate them all and didn’t tell me so I didn’t buy more. So I subbed finely chopped almonds for the cashews, and I thought it was a great substitute. I bet you could also sub finely chopped sunflower seeds if you don’t have any nuts on hand.
I told my mom how much we loved Clinton Kelly’s fabulous sweet potato burgers, and she thought it sounded great until I said they had chickpeas in them. She can’t have chickpeas. If you can have chickpeas– great northern, pinto or kidney beans would be a simple substitute that I think would give a similar flavor and texture.
Clinton Kelly’s sweet potato burgers are loaded with flavor from the roasted sweet potatoes, red onion, garlic, nuts, and Worcestershire sauce. If you’re craving a burger, give these a try. I’m pretty confident that you’ll fall in love with them too.
Make sure you load em’ up with lots of toppings! We like lettuce, tomato, red onion, and avocados!
We usually put ketchup or mustard on our burgers, but I didn’t think that would go so well with these. So I whipped up a spicy southwest ranch greek yogurt sauce, that was perfect for topping Clinton Kelly’s fabulous sweet potato burgers with!
It was so yummy, that we’ve been putting the leftover sauce on our turkey sandwiches and wraps for lunch every day. We can’t get enough!
Overall, we really enjoyed Clinton Kelly’s fabulous sweet potato burgers, and I’ll definitely be adding them to our monthly meal rotation menu. I hope you enjoy them too!
More Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll love!
Clinton Kelly's Fabulous Sweet Potato Burgers
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 red onion 1/2 peeled and finely diced, 1/2 thinly sliced for toppings
- 1 cup chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cashews finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Peel, and chop the sweet potatoes. Toss with cumin, paprika, garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Lay on a parchment lined tray, and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, diced red onion, chickpeas, and vegan Worcestershire to the food processor. Pulse until combined. Scoop the mixture into a large bowl and add the cashews and rolled oats. Form the mixture into patties.
- In a large saute pan, cook burgers in coconut oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes per side, or until lightly browned.
- Top with lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado and greek yogurt ranch sauce.
- I used vegan Worcestershire sauce, not regular.
- I added paprika and cumin to the potatoes before baking them for extra flavor.
- You can substitute kidney, pinto or great northern beans for the chickpeas.
- You can substitute almonds or sunflower seeds for the cashews.
Recipe adapted from Clinton Kelly on The Chew.