Classic macaroni & cheese made secretly healthy with a butternut squash cheese sauce! Butter-free. It’s so creamy and the color is spot on!
Who doesn’t love macaroni & cheese!?
Seriously, it’s one of my top 5 favorite foods. If I could eat it all day, every day without turning into a chunky monkey, I would! I was
I was SUPER excited when I saw Clinton Kelly make butternut squash macaroni & cheese on The Chew a few months ago and I have been waiting for the perfect chance to make it. I wanted to change it up to make it even healthier tho. Plus, my friend Jeanine was looking for a healthy mac n’ cheese recipe for her little boy, Calvin. This was a win-win situation!
Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese
Forget Kraft, throw out the Velveeta, this will be your go-to macaroni & cheese recipe from now on! It’s super creamy, cheesy and full of healthy veggies. The butternut squash gives it the perfect yellow-y, orange-y color, nobody will ever know it’s in there! The kids definitely won’t be able to tell, how much better can you get??
Quick tip: Wash the butternut squash and then put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and it will soften slightly. The first time I tried to peel and chop a big butternut squash, I almost lost a finger. It’s really hard to handle. Putting it in the microwave first makes it so much easier to peel and cut into chunks. Don’t forget to scoop out the seed guts!
You could omit the cheese if you wanted to make it really healthy but to me it’s not really macaroni & cheese without a little bit of cheese! Plus, you’re basically eating squash for dinner, right? Splurge and add the cheese!
- 1 medium (2 lb) butternut squash
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 Tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Sprinkle of chopped parsley for garnish
- Wash the squash, put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove, cut in half and remove the seeds. Cut into small chunks.
- In a medium saucepan, add the squash chunks, chicken stock, almond milk, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer for 20-25 minutes or until squash is soft.
- While the sauce is cooking, grate the cheese, set aside.
- Boil the water for the pasta, add salt, and cook the noodles according to package directions.
- When the squash is done, carefully pour it into a food processor. Add greek yogurt, salt. and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Add the grated cheese, blend on low until melted and well combined.
- Drain the pasta, pour the squash cheese sauce over the top. Mix well.
- Optional - Put the pasta in individual casserole dishes and under the broiler on high until browned.
Do you have a favorite macaroni & cheese recipe? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
Add me on SnapChat to see what I’m cooking today! – StaceyHomemaker
You may also like…