Classic macaroni & cheese made secretly healthy with a butternut squash cheese sauce! Vegetarian.
Who doesn’t love macaroni & cheese!?
Seriously, it’s one of my top 5 favorite foods. If I could eat it all day, every day without turning into a chunky monkey, I would! I was
I was SUPER excited when I saw Clinton Kelly make butternut squash macaroni & cheese on The Chew a few months ago and I have been waiting for the perfect chance to make it. I wanted to change it up to make it even healthier tho. Plus, my friend Jeanine was looking for a healthy mac n’ cheese recipe for her little boy, Calvin. This was a win-win situation!
Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese
Forget Kraft, throw out the Velveeta, this will be your go-to macaroni & cheese recipe from now on! It’s super creamy, cheesy and full of healthy veggies. The butternut squash gives it the perfect yellow-orange color, nobody will ever know it’s in there! The kids definitely won’t be able to tell, how much better can you get??
Pro tip: Wash the butternut squash and then put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and it will soften slightly. The first time I tried to peel and chop a big butternut squash, I almost lost a finger. It’s really hard to handle. Putting it in the microwave first makes it so much easier to peel and cut into chunks. Don’t forget to scoop out the seeds!
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love!
Butternut Squash Mac n' Cheese
- Put the squash into the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Remove it and put it on a cutting board. Cut it in half and remove the seeds. Then cut it into small chunks.
- In a medium saucepan, add the squash chunks, vegetable broth, soy milk, and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the squash is soft. While the sauce is cooking, grate the cheese, set it aside.
- Boil the water for the pasta, add salt, and cook the noodles according to package directions.
- When the squash is done, carefully pour the mixture into a food processor. Add greek yogurt, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth. Pour the creamy sauce back into the pan and add the cheese. Let it cook until the cheese has melted.
- Drain the noodles and put them into the pan with the sauce. Mix well.