Starting the day with a flavorful quinoa breakfast bowl that’s loaded with eggs (or a tofu scramble) and sauteed spinach will kickstart your booty into high gear! Gluten-free + vegan-friendly options.
During the week, Travis usually skips breakfast because he’s not hungry that early and I eat a light breakfast while I watch the news in the mornings. I rotate between avocado toast, a tofu scramble, or mango cherry chia seed pudding cups. On the weekend, I like to make something a little more special like these quinoa breakfast bowls!
Vegan Caesar Dressing
Travis called this the best healthy breakfast bowl he’s ever had! He loves the caesar dressing I drizzled over the top and garlicky spinach scrambled eggs. The Caesar dressing was leftover from our salads the night before that I served with the pesto quinoa stuffed tomatoes.
I swear the dressing tastes exactly like real anchovy and parmesan cheese-loaded caesar dressing, except this recipe from Sam over at It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken, is a million times better and healthier for you! The cashews make it so creamy and the capers give it the perfect salty bite.
Build the Best Healthy Breakfast Bowl
We also had quinoa and spinach leftover from last night’s dinner so it was an obvious choice to work them into the breakfast bowls too. I scrambled six organic eggs (or substitute tofu), pushed them to one side of the pan and sautéed the spinach on the other side of the pan with garlic powder then combined everything once the spinach was wilted. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
- Beet greens
Each bowl starts with a quinoa base gets topped with garlic spinach scrambled eggs, slices of avocado and Roma tomatoes. Drizzle the caesar dressing or your favorite dressing on top and voila, you have the best healthy breakfast bowl ready in 20 minutes!
- Brown rice
- Whole wheat couscous
Even though I call them the best healthy breakfast bowls, you could serve them for brunch, an afternoon pick-me-up, an early dinner or on a night when you’re craving breakfast for dinner. They’re very versatile and can incorporate whatever grains you find hiding in the back of your pantry or vegetables you have left in the fridge.
How Much Protein is in Each Bowl?
Each bowl has a whopping 30 grams of protein! That’s a great way to start the day and you’ll feel fuller longer than if you’d had pancakes or a bagel for breakfast.
- 3 eggs = 18 grams
- 1 cup of quinoa = 8 grams
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced = 1.5 grams
- 8 oz fresh spinach = 1/2 cup cooked spinach = 2.5 grams protein
If you make this healthy quinoa breakfast bowl, please share it on Instagram and tag @Stacey_Homemaker so I can see your delicious creation!
Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Cook quinoa according to directions and set aside.
- Over medium-low heat, add olive oil to a large sauté pan, add whisked eggs and scramble just until they're almost done cooking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Push the partially-cooked eggs to one side of the pan and add the fresh spinach to the other side of the pan. Cover and let the spinach wilt for 1 minute. Remove lid, add garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the spinach, stir and continue cooking until spinach is completely wilted. Mix spinach and eggs together.
- Arrange your bowls - layer 1 cup quinoa in each bowl, top with garlic spinach scrambled eggs, tomato slices and half an avocado. Drizzle caesar dressing over the breakfast bowl. Enjoy!
- You can make this recipe vegan by scrambling tofu instead of eggs.
- Roasted veggies would be delicious if you don't have tomatoes or avocado.
- You can use your favorite dressing, you don't have to use caesar dressing.
- I listed quinoa and spinach substitutions above if you need other options.