This watermelon Moscow mules recipe will be your go-to drink of summer! It’s tart and sweet with a splash of ginger! Perfect for sipping by the pool or serving a big pitcher for a party! Vegan.
***This post contains affiliate links.
I can’t believe it’s officially summer!
In case you didn’t know, yesterday was also six months to Christmas. Holy cow.
I love Christmas more than most people, but dang, this year is just flyin’ by!
Side note, I’m really looking forward to watching the Christmas in July movies on the Hallmark channel in a few weeks. Will you be watching too? It helps me to not miss the holiday season as much by getting a little taste in the middle of the year.
Since we’re talking holidays, the 4th of July will be here in less than one week too! I’m making star-spangled watermelon skewers. Have you started planning your menu yet?
Watermelon Moscow Mules Recipe
I usually only share food recipes on the blog, but Travis and I also like to experiment with flavors and create drinks with seasonal produce too. We love moscow mules, they’re so flavorful and perfect for summer! We love the spicy-ish kick from the ginger beer, fresh mint, and tangy, citrus-y lime juice. YUM!
We enjoy them so much that moscow mules were even one of our signature drinks at our Cross Creek Ranch wedding last February!
Wedding Photo credit: Rad Red Creative
In my opinion, the official fruit of summer is….watermelon!
It’s sweet, juicy, refreshing, and the perfect summer snack. You can slice it up as a side dish, dice it into fruit salsa, blend it up and make popsicles, there are so many delicious ways to prepare watermelon!
I’ve started noticing that grocery stores are even selling bottles of pure watermelon juice. What a great idea! That made me think that fresh watermelon juice would also be a tasty mixer to a classic drink or a great addition to our favorite moscow mules recipe.
This watermelon moscow mules recipe is light, tangy, and flavorful, with just a touch of ginger and a dash of sweetness from the fresh watermelon juice. We both love it!
This recipe makes enough for two drinks but you could easily double, or triple it if you want to make a pitcher. Just don’t add ice to the pitcher, it will water it down too much. Instead, keep the pitcher in the fridge and put the ice in your cup right before you pour yourself a drink.
Fresh or Bottled: Watermelon Juice
I made this moscow mules recipe with fresh watermelon that I cut up, pureed in a high-powered blender, and strained. It was a just few extra steps but not very time-consuming. I feel that it’s worth if for the fresh flavor. Plus, I like knowing exactly what’s in my drink.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I don’t see why you couldn’t use bottled watermelon juice for this moscow mules recipe. It might have extra sugar added but if that’s not a concern to you, using bottled juice will save you a little bit of time and kitchen clean-up. That’s always a good thing!
Fresh or Bottled: Lime Juice
Using fresh lime juice is non-negotiable for this watermelon moscow mules recipe.
When we were testing different ways to make a classic moscow mule for our wedding, we found that there is no comparison when it comes to using fresh squeezed or bottled lime juice. Fresh lime juice is always best! The squeezy bottle lime juice gives the drink a sour, artificial taste that, believe me, nobody wants.
I’ve also tested different tools for squeezing lemon and lime juice. This citrus hand squeezer is my favorite one to use because it’s strong, easy to squeeze, and it effectively strains the juice right into a cup. Remember to zest the citrus before you juice it!
Fresh or Bottled: Ginger Beer
We only use homemade organic ginger beer for this moscow mules recipe. It’s really important to brew it yourself to get the best flavor!
Ha, I’m totally kidding. I definitely don’t have time for that!
You can use any brand of ginger beer you like for this watermelon moscow mules recipe. However, we do have a favorite brand of ginger beer that we always use.
I think that this ginger beer has the best authentic ginger flavor and it doesn’t have any high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, or preservatives.
Tips for Picking a Watermelon
It can be overwhelming to pick a watermelon. You want the best one, right? Here are a few things to look for when you are searching for the perfect watermelon.
- Golden spot – Each watermelon has a white, yellow, or golden “field spot” on its belly. You want to look for a golden yellow spot, that means that it was picked at its prime ripeness.
- Webbing – My grandpa taught my mom and my mom taught me to pick the melons with the most sugar lines! The more webbing, the sweeter it will be.
- Round shape – Round (female) watermelons are sweeter and oval (male) watermelons are waterier.
- Give it a thump – My mom swears that if you knock on the watermelon and it sounds hollow, then it’s perfectly ripe.
Try to remember these tips for the next time you’re picking out a watermelon!
- 4 oz fresh watermelon juice (about 2½ cups of seedless watermelon chunks)
- 2 oz vodka
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- 4 oz ginger beer
- 8 mint leaves
- (Optional) Lime wedges for garnish
- Cut the watermelon into chunks.
- Blend the watermelon in a high-powered blender until it has a smooth consistency.
- Strain it, discard the pulp.
- Pour the juice into a shaker, add the fresh lime juice, vodka, and mint leaves.
- Muddle the mint leaves for a few seconds to release the flavors.
- Shake to combine.
- Add the ginger beer, stir to combine. Don't shake it!
- Pour the mixture over ice.
- Top with a mint sprig and a lime wedge.
Watermelon Moscow Mules Recipe Notes –
- If you don’t use a seedless watermelon for this recipe, you’ll have seed sediment at the bottom of your cup.
- You can triple the recipe ingredients to make a pitcher.
- You could substitute other fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches) instead of watermelon.
- Make sure to strain the watermelon juice, you don’t want to swallow a mouthful of pulp.
- You could freeze this mixture into popsicle molds for a refreshing adult-only summer treat!
If you make this easy 4th of July appetizer, please share your picture on Instagram and tag @StaceyHomemaker so I can see your delicious creation!
Want to start your own healthy food blog and share all of your delicious recipes?
10 tools that all new bloggers need to be successful + check out the 10 tools that all new bloggers need to be successful!
Are you going to try this watermelon moscow mules recipe this summer? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
Add me on Snapchat to see what I’m cooking today! – StaceyHomemaker
You might also like…