This thick and creamy vegan broccoli cheese soup recipe is loaded with “cheesy” goodness that will quench your craving for comfort food any night of the week. Kid-friendly, vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
Cheese has definitely one of the hardest things for me to give up while I’m working on transitioning to being 100% vegan.
The only way that I’ve found to stop the cravings is by “veganizing” my favorite cheesy recipes. That means to still make macaroni and cheese or cheesy loaded broccoli stuffed potatoes when you’re craving it, just make it without dairy cheese.
This soup doesn’t have any fake cheese shreds in it either. The few brands that I’ve tried, I didn’t like. They didn’t melt properly and they just taste artificial to me and that’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid! I want to cut out as much processed food as possible and eat only whole foods that actually came from the earth.
There’s no reason to give up your favorite comfort foods, you just need to switch up the ingredients. It can be done, I promise. If it’s done right, even the most experienced cheese lover won’t be able to tell that the dish is completely dairy-free.
If you’re craving something cheesy, you need to make this broccoli cheese soup asap!
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This vegan broccoli cheese soup recipe is naturally thick and creamy and it’s all from wholesome plant based ingredients! I used potatoes to make it taste super creamy and luxurious and carrots for the naturally yellow color of the broth that we all know and love.
I used to love Panera’s broccoli cheese soup, I would get the large bowl every single time I went! Every once in awhile I still get a craving for it. When I do, I pull out this recipe and it always hits the spot.
You can customize this vegan broccoli cheese soup recipe however you like– I loaded our soup with tons of broccoli, two pounds to be exact! You could cut the broccoli in half and add shredded carrots or cauliflower bites, or use up whatever vegetables you have in the fridge. Pretty much anything swimming in “cheese sauce” is sure to be delicious and gobbled up by everyone in the family.
Travis and I both loved this dairy-free cheese soup, it’s one of those meals that makes you feel like you’re getting a big warm hug. Normally, I serve baked potatoes when we have soup for dinner but since this soup already has potatoes in it, we had a big pile of lemon basil turmeric veggies on the side.
- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (for color, not heat)
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (or more to taste)
- 1-quart vegetable broth
- 2 lbs broccoli florets, (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Soak cashews in water for 1 hour, drain and discard water. Set aside.
- Add oil to a dutch oven and cook the diced onions for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add cubed potatoes, thinly sliced carrots, a pinch of salt and 2 cups of water. Cover and let cook for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Almost all of the water should be absorbed by now.
- Let mixture cool slightly before adding it to the food processor or high powered blender.
- Add vegetable broth, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, cashews, salt, and pepper to the food processor. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Note - If you don't have a large blender, blend the soup in batches.
- Pour the soup back into the original pot and bring to a low simmer for 5-10 mins.
- You can use fresh or frozen broccoli for this soup (cook it while the potatoes and carrots are cooking). After you steam or roast the broccoli, chop it up into bite-size chunks and add it to the soup.
- Garnish each bowl with parsley and a sprinkle of cayenne.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe Notes –
- You can substitute chickpeas for the cashews if you want this recipe to be nut-free.
- You can use fresh or frozen broccoli in this recipe, it really doesn’t affect the consistency.
- Feel free to add grated carrots or other vegetables to the soup.
- The addition of cayenne pepper is just for color, not for heat. If you’re concerned, please omit it.
If you make this vegan broccoli cheese soup recipe, please share your picture on Instagram and tag @StaceyHomemaker so I can see your delicious creation!
Want to start your own healthy food blog and share all of your delicious recipes?
Learn how to do it in just 3 easy steps + check out the 10 tools that all new bloggers need to be successful!
What’s your favorite comfort food? Let me know in the comments!
*This post contains affiliate links.
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
Add me on Snapchat to see what I’m cooking today! – StaceyHomemaker
You might also like…