Incredibly chocolatey & indulgent black bean brownies that will knock your socks off! No flour, butter or granulated sugar = healthy chocolate peanut butter chunk brownies you can eat anytime you want! Dairy-free, gluten-free and vegetarian.
I’ve been hearing about black bean brownies for a while now, and I’m all about making healthy recipes but not usually when it comes to desserts. I don’t eat a lot of sweets, so if I do– I go for the real deal treats. I eat healthy meals 90% of the time so I’m going to splurge a little bit if I feel like a dessert.
Travis’ birthday was on Monday, and he requested homemade brownies for his birthday dessert, so I figured it was now or never to try creating a “healthy” brownie recipe that didn’t taste healthy.
Most black bean brownie recipes I looked up had at least 3/4 cup or more of white granulated sugar in them. That’s a ton of sugar! Were they just trying to make up for flavor with extra sugar? I had to find out. So, I took my favorite brownie recipe, removed the flour, sugar and butter and added black beans, agave, coconut milk, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.
The black beans are the perfect addition to these healthy chocolate peanut butter brownies. They are completely blended up before being added to the other ingredients. No skins or chunks here. You won’t even know they’re in the batter. They add fiber to the brownies as well as helping them bind together. I think they also add color because they come out pretty dark, almost black.
I know what you’re thinking, why would you put apple cider vinegar in the brownies? Because it chemically reacts with the baking soda to help bind and create lift in the brownies while baking. Don’t worry, you won’t taste it at all after the brownies have been baked.
I only used 1 whole egg + two egg yolks because more yolks = a fudgier tasting brownie. The same goes for flour, the less flour the fudgier the brownie is. These brownies are in between fudgy and cake-like. They have a light crumb that make them super tender, moist and absolutely addicting and delicious.
I added chopped up chunks of my favorite 3 ingredient peanut butter cups (without the salted caramel drizzle) to the brownies, but you can use store-bought peanut butter cups if you wish. I’m sure the results would be the same.
I made the first batch for Travis birthday on Monday, but those were gone in 2 days. I just finished baking the second batch today and I’m sure they’ll be gone in no time.
I served them warm (zap in the microwave for 10-15 seconds) with a big scoop of salted caramel vanilla ice cream on top. Oh. My. God. Yum. ?
So good, we just couldn’t get enough! ?
You have to be careful with these addicting brownies. Just because they’re healthy brownies doesn’t mean you can eat the whole tray in one sitting! Believe me, we tried.
- 15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coffee grounds
- ¼ tsp pink sea salt
- 1 whole egg + 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup peanut butter cup chunks, roughly chopped
- Note - I use my nutribullet but you can use a blender or mixer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add black beans to blender, add coconut milk, agave, coconut oil, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, coffee grounds, salt, whole egg and egg yolks. Blend until fully combined but be careful to not over mix. Stir in half the chocolate chips & half the peanut butter chunks.
- Line a 8 x8 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. Pour the batter in, sprinkle remaining chocolate chips & peanut butter chunks over the top.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to check. Don't over bake!
- Remove for the oven, let completely cool before cutting.
- Don't refrigerate, just store in an airtight container.
Have you tried black bean brownies before? What did you think? Let me know in the comments!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
You may also like…