Easy garden veggie barley soup that’s ready in only 30 minutes and loaded with vegetables! This quick and healthy soup will be one of your new family favorites! Vegetarian, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
The last few months have been insanely busy for Travis and I. We’re planning our wedding, trying to build our businesses, and we have so many side projects going on that it’s rare for us to have any time off together. Most days I cook dinner early for me and have to warm it up for Travis when he gets home later.
I’m sure many of you have the same problem. There just isn’t enough time in the day to do everything we want to do and everyone has different schedules.
As much as I love cooking, on nights that we both happen to be home at the same time for dinner I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen for hours. This garden veggie barley soup is one of my go-to quick & healthy dinners that we both love.
Lately, I’ve been on a kick of cooking with ancient grains like with our favorite simple einkorn wheat berry salad or southwest quinoa salad with chipotle dressing. I like to double both of these recipes and meal prep them for lunches that we both bring to work during the week. So I thought barley would be a delicious addition to this garden veggie soup.
Garden Veggie Barley Soup is Quick, Easy, and Healthy!
The garden veggie barley soup is loaded with a mix of fresh and frozen veggies. I love that it’s so customizable because you can add whatever fresh veggies you might have little bits and pieces leftover or that one random zucchini that you find stuffed in the back of the fridge.
One of my biggest pet peeves is wasting food, so this recipe is perfect to use up anything you have leftover!
Super healthy, quick, veggie loaded and delicious is how I would describe this garden veggie barley soup. It’s ridiculously packed full of veggies which is such an easy way to get more than your expected amount of veggies in for the day.
In the past, I’ve tried cooking pasta and grains in the soup but they absorb too much of the soup broth that it ends up pretty dry by the end. So I prefer to cook the barley for this soup separately and then add it all into the pot right before I serve it. This way it doesn’t soak up too much of the broth and it was still soup-like the next day after being stored in the fridge all night.
If you want to make this all in one pot you definitely can cook the barley in the soup, it just won’t have as much liquid left at the end because the barley will absorb a lot of it.
- 1 cup barley
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-quart vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 8 oz frozen spinach
- 10 oz frozen red peppers or 2 large red bell peppers
- Sea salt & pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- Cook the barley according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a 5-quart dutch oven pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add carrots, garlic and sweet potato. Saute for 4-5 minutes until the veggies start to soften. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable broth, water, Italian seasonings, bay leaf and 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies. Bring to a low boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are to your desired consistency.
- Add frozen spinach, frozen red peppers and diced zucchini. Replace lid and cook for 5 minutes or until everything is hot. Be careful not to let it cook for too much longer once you add the zucchini and spinach because it only take a few minutes to cook or it will get mushy. I prefer it slightly firm and still bright green.
- Taste, and season with more sea salt and pepper.
- Add the barley to the soup, stir to combine and serve.
Follow me on Instagram to see what other quick & healthy dinners I’ve been making lately!
NEVER MISS A STACEY HOMEMAKER CREATION!
You may also like…